Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
colibris79
Level 3
Level 3

(SOLVED)Downloads folder missing from Caja and disk space loss

Post by colibris79 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am

Hi,
Something weird has happened in my Mint 18.3. I booted and realized that the Downloads folder shortcut was not showing in the left side panel. So I checked in Caja normal window and the folder was missing. At that moment the folder had around 40G of files inside. I didn't mind so much about the files since I had a backup, but the space hasn't been freed. My home folder right now is 8GB and the rest of folders of my Files System is around 17GB (I didn't count proc, mnt or media folders). My Linux Mint installation hard disk is 130GB and it should show around 100GB of free space now that the Downloads folder is gone. But it still shows 65GB

I checked my home/user/.config/user-dirs.dirs file and realized that one this line was like:
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/"

So I changed again to (my locale is Spanish):
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Descargas"

Now I have the shortcut to Downloads in my left panel again but the space of the previous folder. As I said I don't care that much about the files but I would like to be able to free that space again. Could anyone suggest anything to achieve this?
And what could be the reason for the Downloads folder to disappear and still keep all that space in use in the first place?

Thanks
Last edited by colibris79 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colibris79
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Downloads folder missing from Caja and disk space loss

Post by colibris79 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Finally I have found the folder causing the issue with the Disk Analyzer tool. It was a hidden cache folder that in Caja was showing just a few Kb but in the end it was almost 40GB. Emptied the folder and the problem is gone.

Return to “Software & Applications”