cloning a micro sd card

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kelownafornian

cloning a micro sd card

Post by kelownafornian »

I have a "backroads map" in my GPS and the batteries have got corroded a couple times! I almost lost my micro SD card!!! So I was wondering if there's any program that can give me an exact "clone" of my micro SD so I can use the copy and keep my original in the package?

I'm using Linux Cinnamon 64 bit on a relatively decent laptop but it only has one SD card slot. I was thinking i can use an adapter for a USB to MicroSD adapter for the second card? (bought one)

Has anyone tried this yet? What program did you use?

Thanks! K
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: cloning a micro sd card

Post by WharfRat »

You can use the dd utility to either clone the card or dump it to a file that you can use later on the card.

As an example sudo dd if=/dev/sdh of=~/sdcard.img bs=4M status=progress && sync

Change it around to place the content on the card sudo dd if=~/sdcard.img of=/dev/sdh bs=4M status=progress && sync

Just make sure you use the correct device.

Save the file in case something happens to the card :wink:
Mute Ant

Re: cloning a micro sd card

Post by Mute Ant »

Remember the 'S' in SD stands for 'Secure'... there's more to an SD card than the user data area. If it's unprotected, a clone of the data will do fine. If it's a commercial SD product, don't be surprised if a simple data clone fails to work when written to a new SD card.

Return to “Software & Applications”