Installed OTF font styles are missing in certain programs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chrisra
Level 1
Level 1

Installed OTF font styles are missing in certain programs

Post by chrisra »

Hi everyone,

I have an issue where certain OTF fonts are not recognized. This happens when there's a family of fonts, each with their own file, and in the metadata they all have the same name, but a different style.

Some of these then won't show up Inkscape or LibreOffice. However they do appear in Scribus! If someone knows a difference in libraries or tools used between these programs, this might point us to a solution.

Refreshing the font cache (fc-cache -fv) shows these fonts being found. Examples of its output:

Code: Select all

/home/chris/.fonts/Fira_otf: caching, new cache contents: 35 fonts, 0 dirs
[...]
/home/chris/.fonts/KlinicSlab_Personal_License: caching, new cache contents: 8 fonts, 0 dirs
[...]
where 18 of 35 and 2 of 8 are found, respectively. You can download the first one here: https://github.com/bBoxType/FiraSans/archive/master.zip
For example, Fira Sans Two, Four and Eight are among those not showing up. If you have a minute, I'd be grateful if you could test it for yourself.

Best,
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Installed OTF font styles are missing in certain programs

Post by Flemur »

A search shows -
- install libotf and libotf-bin (not installed by default for me)
- put the fonts in /usr/share/fonts/opentype/.
- sudo fc-cache -fv
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
chrisra
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installed OTF font styles are missing in certain programs

Post by chrisra »

Thanks for the suggestions!
Flemur wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:10 pm A search shows -
- install libotf and libotf-bin (not installed by default for me)
libotf is installed, I checked that already before posting. Installing libotf-bin: no change.
(Building font cache: no change. Sudo-building font cache: no change.)
- put the fonts in /usr/share/fonts/opentype/.
Moved them over, no change.
(Building font cache: no change. Sudo-building font cache: no change. The fonts are being found in the new location.)
- sudo fc-cache -fv
As you can see in my description, it's not an issue with the font cache. Else Scribus would not find them, either, unless it does something super unreasonable and bypasses it. What was your idea in giving it sudo privileges? fc-cache doesn't need them.

Return to “Software & Applications”