Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rivvedup
Level 1
Level 1

BleachBit breaks Mint Software Manager in KDE 18.3

Post by rivvedup » Fri May 04, 2018 9:33 pm

In Mint KDE 18.3 with Mint Software Manager 7.8.9, running Bleachbit 2.0 as root breaks the Software Manager's graphic interface to where you can click on menu to start it, but it never displays on screen, and the task bar tab closes as well. Reinstalling Software Manager from Synaptic fixes problem until next time BB2.0 is run as root, then another reinstall is required. Note this same issue also happens with BB earlier versions. This did NOT happen under XFCE 18.2. I'm no brogrammer, so let me know if you need more information. P.S. This has been reported to BB's Github (Post #339).

trytip
Level 7
Level 7

Re: BleachBit breaks Mint Software Manager in KDE 18.3

Post by trytip » Fri May 04, 2018 9:50 pm

not much a user can do if it's a bug from developers.

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

I am going to tell you what any reasonably knowledgeable Linuix users will tell you. Do NOT use bleachbit or anything similar. They have a habit of doing things like you experienced.

In fact, none of the really knowledgeable WIndows users I know will use registry cleaners like bleachbit in WIndows, where a registry cleaner at least makes some sense versus none in Linux.

trytip
Level 7
Level 7

Post by trytip » Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 am

i use bleachbit in arch linux, linux mint , pclinuxos, ubuntu since 2011 and nothing has happened . i use it very aggressively adding extra files, folders to delete and use it every time i update

Faust
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Faust » Sat May 05, 2018 11:08 am

trytip wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 am
i use bleachbit in arch linux, linux mint , pclinuxos, ubuntu since 2011 and nothing has happened . i use it very aggressively adding extra files, folders to delete and use it every time i update
Thank you , that is refreshing to read .

Bleachbit boots with a menu of actions , and some of those option boxes are pre-checked .
If the user doesn't want a particular function , uncheck the box , and if the user doesn't understand a particular function
they really need to uncheck the box !

Any user who cannot grasp those simple instructions should stay the heck away from Bleachbit
( and also , should not use any sharp implements without adult supervision )

" It ought to be easy , ought to be simple enough "
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat May 05, 2018 6:34 pm

There are many posts on these forums about problems after using BleachBit. Most of the more experienced people here will tell you not to use it. Some of them call it a "software wrecking ball." Never used BB myself, and it is highly unlikely that I ever will. Pjotr has some recommendations on cleaning your computer here:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4

A quote form that page:
Note: don't use cleaning applications like Bleachbit and Computer Janitor for this job! They are dangerous and at best superfluous.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Software & Applications”