Pidgin for Video Calls

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
julianvb

Pidgin for Video Calls

Post by julianvb »

2018-05-11

I would like to know if anyone has used Pidgin for video calls. If so, how does one use it?
Pidgin is totally new to me. Thanks very much.

julianvb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Pidgin for Video Calls

Post by Moem »

I've not tried this because I only use Pidgin for messaging and IRC, but the FAQ might provide some insight:
https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using% ... camSupport

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

And here I was thinking of the language :oops:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

by lsemmens » Fri May 11, 2018 9:17 am
And here I was thinking of the language :oops:
lsemmens,
This link deals with inguistics but not computer matters. Thanks just the same.
julianvb
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi julianvb,

I have tried most messengers and multimedia messengers available for Linux. I have never been able to get "pidgin" to use the audio and video for multimedia chat? Perhaps that has changed recently. But, "pidgin" is a great text messenger with many options including secure text chat (OTR), can work with Facebook, Skype, etc...

Because of your previous posts and other posts in this forum, you know there are a few other multi-media messaging applications that handle text, voice, and or video chat, like "qTox" or one of the other Tox clients, "Wire", "Ring", "Jitsi", "Linphone", etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

2018-05-18
I have tried most messengers and multimedia messengers available for Linux. I have never been able to get "pidgin" to use the audio and video for multimedia chat? Perhaps that has changed recently. But, "pidgin" is a great text messenger with many options including secure text chat (OTR), can work with Facebook, Skype, etc...

Because of your previous posts and other posts in this forum, you know there are a few other multi-media messaging applications that handle text, voice, and or video chat, like "qTox" or one of the other Tox clients, "Wire", "Ring", "Jitsi", "Linphone", etc...
Hi, phd21,

Thanks very much again for your generous help. Tonight I attempted to download jetsi-meet and came across a dependency problem. I also discovered that Linphone is available for Linux Mint 18.3 or higher only.

julianvb

Return to “Software & Applications”