Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ilya40umov
Level 1
Level 1

Timeshift on systems with Docker daemon

Post by ilya40umov » Sat May 12, 2018 8:49 am

Previously, I had been mostly running Timeshift from the graphical interface, and as a result I never realized that it had some compatibility problems on systems that are running Docker daemon.
So, just as a heads-up for everyone who didn't notice it: whenever Docker is running, at least on my LM 18.3 installation, Timeshift starts making snapshorts into a different directory, namely /var/lib/docker/aufs. On the new Ubuntu 18.04 it ends up being /var/lib/docker/plugins (probably due to differences in Docker version), but the observed behavior is the same.
I'm not quite sure if this is affecting the recovery process in any significant way (I do remember using recovery while Timeshift was evidently pointing at /var/lib/docker/aufs and it worked just fine), except that if you try to recover your system while Docker is not running, Timeshift won't find any snapshots, cause it will look for them in the root directory, where they are actually supposed to be stored.

Accordingly to Timeshift documentation, systems with Docker installed are not actually supported. So, perhaps Linux Mint could warn the users about this peculiarity when one launches Timeshift while the Docker service is running.

I have filed an issue against Timeshift on github: https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift/issues/189 to add Docker support. Let's see if it will be accepted by the maintainer, but feel free to up-vote it to increase chances of this happening.

For now, on my system I'm considering to use only manual snapshots created from terminal while Docker is stopped, to reduce chances of something going south.

Return to “Software & Applications”