Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
caris_mere
Level 2
Level 2

Skype problems

Post by caris_mere »

I'm not sure why, but skype doens't work on my computer anymore. I could never get it to work properly in Mint 6, so I went back to Mint 5. Then after a while, it quit working there, too. I'm now running Mint 7. At the moment, it starts up, and I can chat with people. But it makes no sounds or calls. When I click "test sound", I hear nothing. If I click "make test call", it says there is a problem with my audio playback. I've tried skype and skype-static. Neither works.

My sound card is just an integrated sound card. In skype it shows it as HDA NVidia.

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Skype problems

Post by kei84 »

Try changing the sound in and sound out settings. You have to test all of them and find the one that suits your system better.

You can also try installing skype-static-oss.

I use Gloria with skype-static and everything works fine.

Mintman

Post by Mintman »

Hi, I had the same issue with Skype sound. I installed Skype-OSS and have good sound now. I am running Mint 7 , Gloria on an AcerTravel Mate 3200.

OOHnirav
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OOHnirav »

Rather than wasting space in here, I'll just add to this topic. I'm having similar problems with Skype on the main edition of Gloria on my HP Pavilion dv9000. Let me take you through what I've done.. (skip through the bolded area to go straight to the problem)

1. When I tried to make a call, a "problem with audio playback" message came up before ever ringing. To fix that, I went through the terminal and followed this guide: http://www.econowics.com/news-from-the- ... epid-ibex/

As far as I know, this changed my pulseaudio for esound.

2. At this point, it would actually ring when I made a call, but instead of hearing anything, I found a "problem with audio capture." To fix this, I went back to my package manager and installed skype-static-oss in the place of skype as suggested by some of you in this thread.

Now, when I make a test call, I can hear everything (although not too clearly, but I'm not going to be picky right now). The problem I have is that my microphone seems to not be working. Can anyone help me out with this?

(I explained everything I did before, in case anyone can find a point where I messed things up)

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kei84 »

Did you make a test call?

Configuring Skype is a real problem in Linux. I suggest you try changing your sound input and output. And check your sound levels.

Mintman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintman »

Well, I know that initially I had a problem with the microphone. Go to Menu/Sound Audio/PulseAudio volume control and make sure that the mic is not muted here. Also make sure you tic the mic boost box, too.

I can't remember, but I think that if you go to the volume controls via the icon in the bottom right that this is not the same setting. So, the mic might be shown on here but in PulseAudio may not be.

Sounds strange, but I know it was something strange for me. Skype is working fine and dandy now. :D
Mint 7 full install off 16GB SD card in EEE PC 701 4GB. Mint 7 full install on Acer TravelMate 3200.

JuanKong
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JuanKong »

OOHnirav wrote:Rather than wasting space in here, I'll just add to this topic. I'm having similar problems with Skype on the main edition of Gloria on my HP Pavilion dv9000. Let me take you through what I've done.. (skip through the bolded area to go straight to the problem)

1. When I tried to make a call, a "problem with audio playback" message came up before ever ringing. To fix that, I went through the terminal and followed this guide: http://www.econowics.com/news-from-the- ... epid-ibex/

Thanks for this link. Now my Skype work perfectly. This was probably the only reason holding me back from converting fully from Windows to Linux.

fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fwc »

JuanKong wrote:
OOHnirav wrote:Rather than wasting space in here, I'll just add to this topic. I'm having similar problems with Skype on the main edition of Gloria on my HP Pavilion dv9000. Let me take you through what I've done.. (skip through the bolded area to go straight to the problem)

Thanks for this link. Now my Skype work perfectly. This was probably the only reason holding me back from converting fully from Windows to Linux.

Check out my post on how to enable the HDA Intel sound in another Skype thread if this doesn't work for you.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 62#p171078

fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fwc »

skype OSS worked. Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”