Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
m.ardito
Level 1
Level 1

about nemo's remote folders icons [SOLVED]

Post by m.ardito » Mon May 14, 2018 9:06 am

Hi,

I usually mount some remote windows shared folders using regular mount command, and I know a bit about that.
But now I tried Nemo's feature (file > connect to server...) allowing to access a (windows/ftp/webdav/ssh) remote share, and that added a "special" icon on the desktop, named like

"shared on 192.168.1.2"

I would like to know exactly how that folder is shared: I can't find anything using the "mount" command, or on the web, and I wish to know how exactly that folder is mounted on my desktop.

Where can I learn about that?

Thanks, Marco
Last edited by m.ardito on Mon May 14, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: about nemo's remote folders icons

Post by altair4 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 am

The mount point is created at the moment of mount by gvfs under: /run/user/1000/gvfs/
The "1000" would be your user id number so it may be different.

And it would look something like: smb-share:server=192.168.1.2,share=shared if it were an smb share.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

m.ardito
Level 1
Level 1

Re: about nemo's remote folders icons

Post by m.ardito » Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm

altair4 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 am
The mount point is created at the moment of mount by gvfs under: /run/user/1000/gvfs/
The "1000" would be your user id number so it may be different.

And it would look something like: smb-share:server=192.168.1.2,share=shared if it were an smb share.
Thank you very much, I found that folder, and it's exactly like that.

My windows share is on a local vm, and I use it to share files with the windows guest. I wonder if this kind of mount will be reliable for this, or if it could be better to mount it permanently, maybe, with a typical system mount? Or, could I create a little script to replicate this gvfs mount... any suggestion?

Today I shut down the vm, then after restarting it I got an error similar to this: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/678
I had to try a few times to manualy recreate the folder mount with nemo, and I would prefer a more stable system, that can survive a network loss...

I will mark this as solved anyway, thanks!

Thanks, Marco

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [SOLVED] about nemo's remote folders icons

Post by altair4 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I have written HowTo's on how to automount samba shares using all of the methods you mentioned.

With a gvfs-mount script:

Code: Select all

gvfs-mount smb://server/share
Note: this will turn into gio mount smb://server/share when Mint turns 19.

Using Gigolo to handle all the hard work: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=52144
This method will wait until the server is up before it attempts to mount it's shares.

And using the traditional fstab method with a twist: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=222087

Each as it's advantages and disadvantages. For the most part I use the fstab method these days but that could change tomorrow.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”