Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
philosopher
Level 1
Level 1

Cloud backup recommendations

Post by philosopher » Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 pm

For the longest time I've been a windows user, but recently installed mint. I'm digging it and trying to determine equivalent programs/software for mint. I'm currently using Carbonite on my Windows 10 partition which auto backs up everything as it changes. Carbonite isn't available for mint, so I'm looking for recommendations from anyone that uses cloud for total computer back up. I did a bit a research and saw there's several programs, but looking for opinions for those that have actually have used the programs.

AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cloud backup recommendations

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm

IMO,

Cloud based backups are 'BAD', Really Bad, as they put your stuff "out there" to be hacked.
And, they require that you always have access to the Internet,
and pushing gBytes of data upstream is a huge cost factor,
for me, and most of the world, uploading that much data will totally demolish my internet connection.

My DSL is limited to 900 kbps uploads, and when that is maxed out, like huge uploads are ( pictures, etc ) I loose the internet simply because a Request for a new website can't get thru, and downloads aren't able to be made, because the "Ack" packets don't make it back to the servers.

extUSB HDD are the best way to go, separate from the PC/laptop and can be stored in a safe place.

my laptop has about 80gB of stuff on it, uploading that to a Cloud Server at 900 kbps is asinine, near totally impossible.

My USB 3 HDD can transfer data at ~300 mbps

AndyMH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AndyMH » Thu May 17, 2018 7:52 am

Agreed, stay away from the cloud - security/privacy/speed.

I have three backup routes, slowest = Synology NAS, faster = ext USB3 HDD, fastest = SATA3 HDD sat in the ultrabay of the laptop. I use all three.
Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 18.0 Mate

wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wallyUSA » Thu May 17, 2018 8:59 am

I prefer local external backup. It is disconnected when not in use. This gives me protection (from me AND others)!
Tara Cinnamon 3.8.3 Kernel 4.15.0-22 (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.

philosopher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by philosopher » Thu May 17, 2018 9:35 am

AndyMH wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:52 am
Agreed, stay away from the cloud - security/privacy/speed.

I have three backup routes, slowest = Synology NAS, faster = ext USB3 HDD, fastest = SATA3 HDD sat in the ultrabay of the laptop. I use all three.
The only issue I have with local back ups attached to a computer if someone were to break in they can take it with them. From what I've seen, NAS are wired. Any way to set up a wireless NAS to place it in a hidden place so that if someone were to break in, they won't take it? Then ideally I can set up auto back up to "set it and forget it".

smurphos
Level 5
Level 5

Post by smurphos » Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 am

Mmm - any foolproof backup system needs redundancy and a key part of that redundancy is an off-site backup in case of fire/flood or similar disaster at the primary location of your physical back-ups

Some people may be lucky enough to have access to an off-site backup solution solely under their control but for most a third-party Cloud solution is the obvious off-site redundancy option so I think 'Cloud is baaaaad' responses are not particularly helpful. Depending on your levels of paranoia and the sensitivity of what you are backing up using sensible encryption and backing up your data pre-encrypted should mostly mitigate concerns about security whoever the provider is.

Recommendations? Not specifically - I've garnered a couple of hundred GB of free Google Drive storage via various offers and promotions over the years and also use ChromeOS and Android so I use Google Drive out of convenience. I'm happy with the potential risks. I use rclone and rclonebackup on Mint to manage syncing with my Mint machines.

I should add that the data from all my devices is also backed up locally - on 3 different drives....

KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Post by KBD47 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 pm

I believe in backing important things up as many times as humanly possible :)
I use Dropbox which has a client for Ubuntu/Mint. They only offer 2gb free which I use for current documents I'm working on with a word processor. So 2gb is plenty for that. I back up photos and other important files at Box. Stuff I don't mind Google sticking its nose in is on Google Drive, and I use usb sticks and computer hard drives for multiple back ups.

AndyMH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AndyMH » Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 pm

The only issue I have with local back ups attached to a computer if someone were to break in they can take it with them. From what I've seen, NAS are wired.
It's sat in the attic, if they find it they're welcome - so many boxes in the way, not to mention the spiders :D
Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 18.0 Mate

philosopher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by philosopher » Thu May 17, 2018 9:11 pm

AndyMH wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 pm
The only issue I have with local back ups attached to a computer if someone were to break in they can take it with them. From what I've seen, NAS are wired.
It's sat in the attic, if they find it they're welcome - so many boxes in the way, not to mention the spiders :D
Hahaha... so it is hardwired I assume??

AndyMH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AndyMH » Fri May 18, 2018 4:18 am

Yes, other half asked me to build an extension, ended up doing most of the house - ceilings down, new plasterboard on all walls, etc. So took the opportunity to put cat5 through the whole house.

skunkarific
Level 2
Level 2

Post by skunkarific » Sun May 20, 2018 6:16 am

I use pcloud for files up to 10GB, it's multi platform, and for large cloud based, I got an S3 account at Amazon, and use a program called Duplicati to back up to it. I have 256 bit AES encryption to hide my muffin recipes from prying eyes.

andreyswit
Level 1
Level 1

Cloud backup recommendations

Post by andreyswit » Mon May 21, 2018 5:09 am

What is the difference between cloud online backup and regular online backup?

wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wallyUSA » Mon May 21, 2018 7:27 am

andreyswit wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:09 am
What is the difference between cloud online backup and regular online backup?
What do you mean by 'regular online backup'? Is it a service or a program? Where is the 'backup' stored?
Tara Cinnamon 3.8.3 Kernel 4.15.0-22 (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.

royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royphotog » Wed May 23, 2018 10:47 pm

I use several cloud services, Mega (50GBs free) for storage and syncing of many of my docs, pCloud for files that I share with customers and google for storage and backing up of my WordPress websites.

Faust
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Faust » Thu May 24, 2018 4:00 am

I favor the 3-2-1 security rule .

3 backups
2 stored locally , ideally on different media
1 stored off-site , always .

IMO cloud storage is for the birds ....
" Cloud " means on someone else's server
" Cloud " means not under my command and control
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

AndyMH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AndyMH » Fri May 25, 2018 9:31 am

Faust - I couldn't agree more! You can't have too many backups.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Fri May 25, 2018 7:28 pm

philosopher wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:35 am
The only issue I have with local back ups attached to a computer if someone were to break in they can take it with them.
I see. So your COMPUTER is stored off-site, then, lol? Or do you suppose a thief would bypass that and go on a scavenger hunt for your backup device instead of just carting off the source?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim » Sat May 26, 2018 7:57 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm
IMO,

...Cloud based backups are 'BAD', Really Bad, as they put your stuff "out there" to be hacked.
...And, they require that you always have access to the Internet,
...and pushing gBytes of data upstream is a huge cost factor,

...extUSB HDD are the best way to go, separate from the PC/laptop and can be stored in a safe place.

...My USB 3 HDD can transfer data at ~300 mbps
Similar approach here. USB docking station(s). Hard drives remain un-powered until needed. Stored on the shelf safe from transient electric surges. GRSYNC makes regular backups simple and quick.

Return to “Software & Applications”