Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Spender411
Level 1
Level 1

How can I run apps installed via snap?

Post by Spender411 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Hello, guys.

I installed a couple of apps via snap, and noticed that their icons didn't appear anywhere. Search in menu didn't help either.
According to Ubuntu's website, I should be able to start an app installed via snap by typing its name in terminal, like in the following example:

Code: Select all

sudo snap install telegram-desktop
telegram-desktop
For some reason, I see the following message when I try to do it:

telegram-desktop: command not found
I managed to open Telegram by typing this in terminal:

snap run telegram-desktop
If I do it this way, the program starts, but I cannot do anything else in terminal until I close Telegram. And vice versa, if I press ctr+c in terminal, it kills Telegram.
So, if I want to use Chromium (also installed via snap) and Telegram at the same time, I have to have 4 windows opened - Telegram, Chromium and 2 terminal windows in which I started each program. And this is just uncomfortable and impractical.

Is there a way to start several snaps from one terminal window? I do not want a lot of windows to pile up at my bottom panel.
Also, if you can tell me how I can start snaps via icons, I will be very grateful.

Thank you!

MrEen
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How can I run apps installed via snap?

Post by MrEen » Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 pm

To keep terminal running, use instead:

snap run telegram-desktop &
I don't add icons to my desktop, but right clicking and choosing Create Launcher is probably what you'd need. To add a Menu entry, yoou'd need to create a .desktop entry (I believe in /usr/share/applications.) I'll let others handle that stuff.

Return to “Software & Applications”