How can I run apps installed via snap?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spender411

How can I run apps installed via snap?

Post by Spender411 »

Hello, guys.

I installed a couple of apps via snap, and noticed that their icons didn't appear anywhere. Search in menu didn't help either.
According to Ubuntu's website, I should be able to start an app installed via snap by typing its name in terminal, like in the following example:

Code: Select all

sudo snap install telegram-desktop
telegram-desktop
For some reason, I see the following message when I try to do it:

telegram-desktop: command not found
I managed to open Telegram by typing this in terminal:

snap run telegram-desktop
If I do it this way, the program starts, but I cannot do anything else in terminal until I close Telegram. And vice versa, if I press ctr+c in terminal, it kills Telegram.
So, if I want to use Chromium (also installed via snap) and Telegram at the same time, I have to have 4 windows opened - Telegram, Chromium and 2 terminal windows in which I started each program. And this is just uncomfortable and impractical.

Is there a way to start several snaps from one terminal window? I do not want a lot of windows to pile up at my bottom panel.
Also, if you can tell me how I can start snaps via icons, I will be very grateful.

Thank you!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How can I run apps installed via snap?

Post by MrEen »

To keep terminal running, use instead:

snap run telegram-desktop &
I don't add icons to my desktop, but right clicking and choosing Create Launcher is probably what you'd need. To add a Menu entry, yoou'd need to create a .desktop entry (I believe in /usr/share/applications.) I'll let others handle that stuff.
andreamoro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andreamoro »

Although it's quite an old thread, this problem continue to exist even on Linux Mint. I installed today the 20.02 and the issue is still the same.
Creating a symbolic links of the .desktop files from /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/ to ~/.local/share/applications do the trick.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

andreamoro wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:06 pm I installed today the 20.02 and the issue is still the same.
If you want help with that, please start a new topic. As you noticed, this one is quite old. It's fine to link to this thread for reference.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”