Program jumps to another workspace

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FujinTux
Level 1
Level 1

Program jumps to another workspace

Post by FujinTux »

I have installed Linux Mint 18.3 on a 'new' laptop. I use multiple workspaces. My mail is on one and the web browser on the other. When I open a link in my mail, it jumps to the web browser, but the browser also jumps to the workspace of the mail. This is not the case on my 'old' PC. Linux Mint 18.3 is also installed on this PC.

Does anyone know where I can set this so that the browser does not jump to the other workspace?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Program jumps to another workspace

Post by smurphos »

Which desktop environment, which browser and which mail app?

A couple of things to check -

1) Have you set the browser window to be 'Visible on all workspaces' - on Cinnamon/XFCE this is done via a right click on it's windows list entry on the taskbar.

2) Are the links opening in a new browser window? So you have got still got the original browser window in it's workspace and a new one with the link open in the mail workspace?

3) If running Cinnamon check Settings / Window / Behaviour and see if 'Bring Windows that require attention to current workspace' is checked.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Mute Ant

Re: Program jumps to another workspace

Post by Mute Ant »

I noticed some recent desktops are defaulting to 'Change Workspace using Mouse Scroll Wheel' which can unexpectedly flip you sideways into an empty screen. For me it was just clumsy clicking that pushed the wheel at the same time.

Return to “Software & Applications”