Screen tearing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Function

Screen tearing

Post by Function »

When playing video (for example youtube, Netflix, etc.), there are horizontal lines in the video.
Especially with big objects moving fast. Sometimes its unwatchable.
It started 2 months ago after an update.

What can I safely do about it?

Here is my system data:

Packard bell
AMD E1-2500 APU Readon HD graphics x 2
Linux mint 17.2 64 bit
Cinnamon version 2.6.13
Linux kernel 4.4.0-122-generic
Rafaella
Ubuntu 14.04.5 Thrusty Thar
Graphics card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini [Radeon HD 8240 / R3 Series]
(prog-iff 00[VGA controller])
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD KABINI GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
skunkarific
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Screen tearing

Post by skunkarific »

I would say the issue is the APU, in this case. It is VERY weak, and Linux, unlike Windows, uses a lot of CPU to play video. I would try to change the APU. Anything like an A8-9600 would do a fine job, if it's am AM3 board, find something similar.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Function wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:30 pm Linux mint 17.2 64 bit
A Radeon HD 8240 should work fine. You're on Mint 17 and can as such install the proprietary fglrx driver: Administration -> Driver Manager. Note, when I last looked while on 17.3, "fglrx" and "fglrx-updates" were the same driver; "-updates" means it could potentially be updated from an originally supplied one but in that case never was. Not certain about 17.2: just compare version strings and pick latest.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

skunkarific wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:11 am I would say the issue is the APU, in this case. It is VERY weak, and Linux, unlike Windows, uses a lot of CPU to play video. ...
That's not true if you have decent hardware support, speak for yourself.

+1 on installing the closed driver (fglrx) from Driver Manager if you're on 17.2,
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Function

Post by Function »

Thank you all for the input .

How do i do that, installing the closed driver (fglrx) from Driver Manager if you're on 17.2.?
I'm complete newbie and find it still difficult to find "terminal" |;-)

I also think it isn't the system or APU. Because until 2 months ago there was no issue with screen tearing.
Something is changed in the software (with an update?) and I don't know what is changed.

Other suggestions are very welcome.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Function wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:46 pm How do i do that, installing the closed driver (fglrx) from Driver Manager if you're on 17.2.?
Mentioned as much. Menu -> Administration -> Driver Manager. It'll show the open source driver being installed and allow for install of "fglrx" and "fglrx-updates". As said, those are probably the same driver also on 17.2 but if not, pick the one with the higher version number.
Function wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:46 pm I also think it isn't the system or APU. Because until 2 months ago there was no issue with screen tearing. Something is changed in the software (with an update?) and I don't know what is changed.
X.org probably. Screen tearing is a standard issue with current X.org and most graphics hardware; I've not been able to eliminate it on older onboard Intel graphics even after quite a few attempts. Most people have sort of given up: X.org is on its way out, being replaced by Wayland, and tear avoidance is somewhat of a primary Wayland characteristic or even motivation.
Function

Post by Function »

+1 on installing the closed driver (fglrx) from Driver Manager if you're on 17.2,
Menu -> Administration -> Driver Manager. It'll show the open source driver being installed and allow for install of "fglrx" and "fglrx-updates". As said, those are probably the same driver also on 17.2 but if not, pick the one with the higher version number.
So, first I allowed for install of "fglrx". That had no effect.
Then "fglrx updates. That had also no effect.
Then I tried a new start up.....

And there it was again:
"Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

Now is my LinuxMint gone......

See:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=269683&p=1472025#p1472025
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Function wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:06 pm Now is my LinuxMint gone......
Hardly; the X server just fails to start. Note that this is quite unexpected: I've never experienced nor read on the forums here that fglrx would bomb out on Mint 17 in that manner. Am wondering if installing fglrx-updates directly after fglrx itself is related: yes, certainly changing driver needs a reboot (well, needs restarting the X server).

In any case... I see from the other thread you know how to boot into recovery mode. From there, try sudo apt-get purge "fglrx*" and reboot: if I recall correctly (I'm by now on 18 and didn't in fact use fglrx even on 17) that should be all you need.
Function

Post by Function »

Steps:

after bios boot press (briefly) esc > advanced options for linux mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 bit > recovery mode > network > root > password > t-imedia-S2185.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge "fglrx*" 

this brings

t-imedia-S12185 `# _
and how do I reboot from there?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I believe you should also on 17 be able to pick "resume" rather than "network" from the recovery menu to boot into a "normal" graphical environment (though with a fallback graphics driver) which would likely be easier for you but...

The sudo apt-get purge "fglrx*" should have provided some output before returning to the prompt. Did it? If yes, type sync and hit Ctrl-Alt-Del or type reboot (i.e., the same as in that other thread). If not, makes no sense, but try again from a terminal in the "resume" case as above I guess.
Function

Post by Function »

The

sudo apt-get purge "fglrx*"
should have provided some output before returning to the prompt. Did it?
Yes, it did.

Now,

sync
followed by

reboot
And.....................Back in bizniz again. Yes :). Linux is started up :)

Thank you Rene, you get yourself some icecream!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Function wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:14 am Thank you Rene, you get yourself some icecream!
Well, you're still tearing...

Let us take as given that for some reason fglrx doesn't work for you. In the other thread you had tried to enable the "TearFree" driver option; it got you into a similar situation but you were there mixing in other changes as well: I'd try again. That is, sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (the directory likely already exists so ignore the error), gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/tearfree.conf and paste in the following,

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Device0"
    Driver      "radeon"
    Option      "TearFree" "on"
EndSection
Save, exit gedit and reboot. There would appear to be no reason you'd get a failing boot again but if you do you know how to recover: boot into recovery and either pick "resume" to end up in a somewhat functional graphical environment, or drop to a shell as you have been doing. Simply delete that newly created file again: sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/tearfree.conf and reboot. From GUI if you're there or sync && reboot if dropped to a shell.

The option is not guaranteed (or by me even expected at this point) to help with the tearing but I guess you can try.
Function

Post by Function »

Hello Rene,

I very appreciate the effort you have put in this.

For now (a few weeks) I can't loose linux again because of priorities, lack of back up (system) and difficult access (to internet, forum) when I screw up.
So for now I accept the "screen tearing" until there is room to play.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

In said few weeks Mint 19 will be out which I would in your case find a welcome excuse to reinstall. The "fglrx" driver not working for you is likely due to your upgrading of several low-level packages I saw you did (anything from that iobaf repository, the mesa-utils) which is to say you do not have a well-defined system at the moment.

Mint 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 which provides Wayland as an alternative for X.org as a (non-default) choice. Assuming that Mint 19 keeps that, Wayland may be your best chance at being TearFree...

Return to “Software & Applications”