Updater keeps giving me error message [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

Updater keeps giving me error message [SOLVED]

Post by SuperSapien »

For some reason the updater keeps giving the same error message (dpkg was interrupted, you must run --configure -a' to correct the problem cache->open() failed, please report) and yes I enter sudo dpkg --configure -a in the terminal and that fixes it temporally but after few days or so I get the same error message again. Should I try running sudo apt-get install -f then sudo dpkg --configure -a? :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Updater keeps giving me error message

Post by smurphos »

I'd suggest running sudo dpkg --configure -a to fix.

Then run apt update and then apt check - report back the output to see if there are any signs of what might be causing the repeat error

I generally only see that error when an update or installation is deliberately or indavertently interrupted by me - e.g by closing a terminal window with the process running etc..
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quexos »

I'll throw this out there just in case...

Since some boneheaded update a few days or week(ish) ago when I run sudo apt-get update or sudo apt update, it hangs on ubuntu.security."something I forget" and apparently it is to do with trying to use ipv6 and failing. Anyway the workaround that worked for me is to install a different distro...er...I mean run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update -o Acquire::ForceIPv4=true
...then run Update Manager, but don't "refresh" or it will just error out again.

Edit: It hangs here forever: [Connecting to security.ubuntu.com (2001:67c:1360:8001::21)] [Connecting to archive.canonical.com (2001:67c:1562::1c)]

Edit 2: Whatever it was, the problem has resolved itself now.
Last edited by Quexos on Thu May 24, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SuperSapien »

smurphos wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:58 pm I'd suggest running sudo dpkg --configure -a to fix.

Then run apt update and then apt check - report back the output to see if there are any signs of what might be causing the repeat error

I generally only see that error when an update or installation is deliberately or indavertently interrupted by me - e.g by closing a terminal window with the process running etc..
I don't know if these will help much but heres what it said after running those commands.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

No errors or pending updates reported by apt update?

Next launch mintupdate from the terminal. If it all works fine all good. If the error pops up again in the next few days keep a note of what happened immediately prior to the error so we can try and see what is triggering it.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I think we are having shades of this: I posted this earlier viewtopic.php?f=47&t=269799

seems to me it is systemic; as both our computers started misbehaving yesterday; just before we did the latest Firefox update; I can't see it was related;
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SuperSapien »

@ smurphos

I'll give that a try.

@ pdc_2

I noticed that to it seems like Firefox 60 was somehow the culprit.
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SuperSapien »

Well its been over a month and I haven't run into that bug I believe Firefox 60.0.1 must of fixed the issue, because after I updated to it the update error message went away. So this issue is solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”