[SOLVED] please help me intall Wine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vesko

[SOLVED] please help me intall Wine

Post by vesko »

Hello everyone, I'm running a Linux Mint 18.1 Serena, my system came with wine 1.xx (I forgot exactly which version it was) and I want to have the latest version of Wine, do I uninstalled the old one and entere the following codes:
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

but all I got was
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package winehq-stable
So I also tried teh following: sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel AND sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging
again I got "E: Unable to locate package" message, so I tried do download and install it manualy from the website https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/pool/main/, bu then I got the error message: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: wine-staging (=3.60~xenial) I get this same message no matter what version I try, so I'm kinda lost here, if you could help me somehow I would appreciate it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: please help me intall Wine

Post by Pierre »

since I've not really sure just what ./wine version is available in the LinuxMint Software Manager,
& that's not going to be the latest version anyway - - which is now v3.x apparently. . .

any dependency errors, could be that your Linux System is Too Old, for the latest version,,
or that the ./wine version that you want to use, does have dependencies that are not correct in your Linux System.

see if this Tutorial is helpful to you:
https://www.tecmint.com/install-wine-on ... inux-mint/
you may need to remove what you have tried, before following that Tutorial, first,
- probably with Package Manager AKA synaptic
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Try (perhaps after purging all your attempted installs)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-stable
I have the same repo, and that install gives me:
$ wine --version
wine-3.0
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
vesko

Post by vesko »

Flemur wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:56 am Try (perhaps after purging all your attempted installs)

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-stable
I have the same repo, and that install gives me:
$ wine --version
wine-3.0
This worked (sort off) replacing 'winehq' with 'wine' in that line triggered the download and instalation process, however when it finished I wasn't able to run it through my terminal as all I get is errors: No command 'wine' found. I tried others such ass winecfg or wineboot etc I get the same error. Also, I am unable to run any programs with wine, for example: wine notepad.exe, all I get is: wine: command not found. At first I though it wasn't intalled in the first place, but when I checked in my softwere menager and synaptic, it clearly shows Wine being installed on the system, which is very confusing because I'm unable to run anything with it. I'm still lost lol
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

vesko wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:30 amThis worked (sort off) replacing 'winehq' with 'wine' in that line triggered the download and instalation process, however when it finished I wasn't able to run it through my terminal as all I get is errors: No command 'wine' found. I tried others such ass winecfg or wineboot etc I get the same error. Also, I am unable to run any programs with wine, for example: wine notepad.exe, all I get is: wine: command not found. At first I though it wasn't intalled in the first place, but when I checked in my softwere menager and synaptic, it clearly shows Wine being installed on the system, which is very confusing because I'm unable to run anything with it. I'm still lost lol
Oh yeah! I forgot that it installs a bit strangely...

$ which wine
/opt/wine-stable/bin/wine
which isn't in a normal PATH; and there are lots of executables there.

In your ~/.profile, add "/opt/wine-stable/bin" to your $PATH (near the bottom of the file, or where it looks for $HOME/bin to add to the PATH):

PATH="$PATH:/opt/wine-stable/bin"
then log out/back in.

Edit: a more standard solution is for the installer is to add links in, say, /usr/bin/wine -> /opt/wine-stable/bin/wine, but there are about 20 wine programs there...so better to add that dir to your PATH instead of 20 links.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

vesko wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:39 am ...
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main
sudo apt-get update
I noticed from their website that they recommend this first:
If your system is 64 bit, enable 32 bit architecture (if you haven't already):

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
Do you have a 64-bit version of Mint and if so, did you do this?
vesko

Post by vesko »

@JerryF Yes I have, my system is 64-bit, I did so as instructed by the guide, and then I entered the rest. Also to update, I still haven't resolved the issue, Flemurs instructions are to confusing I'm said to say, I do not have alot of experience with linux. I uninstalled wine the 2nd time, hoping to try again a bit later.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

vesko wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:04 pm @JerryF Yes I have, my system is 64-bit, I did so as instructed by the guide, and then I entered the rest. Also to update, I still haven't resolved the issue, Flemurs instructions are to confusing I'm said to say, I do not have alot of experience with linux. I uninstalled wine the 2nd time, hoping to try again a bit later.
Use any regular text editor tp add this line at the end of your /home/<username>/.profile file:

PATH="$PATH:/opt/wine-stable/bin"
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

vesko,

My suggestion is to start from scratch.

Using Synaptic Package Manager, enter the word wine in the search box. (Make sure Status is clicked in the lower left)
On the left, click the word Installed to show just the installed wine apps.
Shutter-030.jpg
Right-click on each app and Mark for Complete Removal.
Click on the Apply button at the top.

Next, using your file manager, open your Home folder. Make sure Show Hidden Files is checked (found in the View menu).
There should be a folder named .wine
Delete it.

Then try reinstalling Wine as you did before, with the instructions from their website.
vesko

Post by vesko »

@JerrF I did as you instructed and it worked, wine now responds to comands and I can run programs with it, however I cannot run any games with it, before I could play games with wine even though it was 1.x version, now I have 3.0 but they don't work? Are there any additional packages I need to install? I did uninstalled everything related to wine so maybe I need some more programs to optimize it?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Start Configure Wine from Mint menu
See what the default Windows version it is using. I would try Windows 7.
Then try a game.
vesko

Re: [SOLVED] please help me intall Wine

Post by vesko »

@JerryF I did so, I still can't run any games, however game compatibility is not the topic of this thread, but the only installation of wine, which was resolved, for the rest I will be looking at other resources specificaly tied to gaming on linux. Thank you Jerry and all others who replied, much appreciated.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [SOLVED] please help me intall Wine

Post by JerryF »

You're welcome and thanks for marking it SOLVED.

Return to “Software & Applications”