Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
liberace
Level 1
Level 1

Reinstall packages after switch from 32 to 64bit

Post by liberace » Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 am

Soon i want to switch from Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE 32 bit to the 64 bit version by a fresh install

1. What is the best way to list the present installed packages and how to reinstall the packages in a way that i get the 64 bit versionm of the packages?
2. How about the home directory. I can copy the documents, pictures, music etc. But how about the config files.Can i copy those as well? For example in GIMP i have lot of scripts and plugins.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Reinstall packages after switch from 32 to 64bit

Post by xenopeek » Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 am

I've attached the list of default Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce packages. Download it and extract it.
xfce183.zip
(10.55 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Then open a terminal where you extracted the xfce183 file and run this command:
comm -13 xfce183 <(dpkg --get-selections | grep install | sed 's/[:\t].*//' | sort -u)
This will list all the packages you added to your Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce. You can use that list to reinstall them all (of just the ones you pick from that list) quickly on your new install. I'd wait with reinstalling to Linux Mint 19 Xfce though. A beta should be upcoming within a month I think.

If you want to reinstall all the packages from above list you can use this command to get a tidier list:
comm -13 xfce183 <(dpkg --get-selections | grep install | sed 's/[:\t].*//' | sort -u) | paste -sd ' '
Handy for doing apt install <list of package names here> on a new install.

As for your home directory you can copy config files.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Mon May 21, 2018 7:43 am

:!: I cannot guarantee that this will always work, so make a backup and proceed at your own peril. :!:

I have reused a complete /home partition from a 17.3 32-bits installation for a 18.1 64-bits installation...
and all that went wrong was that there were two applications duplicated in the menu, and of each, only one was working properly.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

smurphos
Level 9
Level 9

Post by smurphos » Mon May 21, 2018 9:30 am

xenopeek wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 am
I've attached the list of default Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce packages. Download it and extract it.
Hi xenopeek,

Are these lists available anywhere for public download?

I've used this command before (found somewhere on askubuntu) which I think generates the same output of user installed packages. It does require the user to have an intact var/log/installer/initial-status.gz. If they have run bleachbit or other cleaners that might not be the case... :roll:

comm -23 <(apt-mark showmanual | sort -u) <(gzip -dc /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz | sed -n 's/^Package: //p' | sort -u)

It looks like running just gzip -dc /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz | sed -n 's/^Package: //p' | sort -u provides the original list of default packages?
Last edited by smurphos on Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 am

I just fetched it from the ISO in a virtual machine.

Perhaps yours would exclude dependency packages? There are multiple ways to get it done I think.

liberace
Level 1
Level 1

Post by liberace » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:03 am

I have made with Timeshift a backup of my Linux mint 18.3 32bits installation. I want to make a fresh install Linux mint 19.1 64 bits.
Can I than restore also the backup packages. For me its just important to get back the manual installed packages with their dependencies

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi liberace,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There can be significant differences between 32-bit and 64-bit software usually.

I would not recommend copying or restoring the entire home folder with its hidden software application and system configuration folders as that could cause issues with some software and maybe some operating system components that are different between the 64-bit and 32-bit versions. There is nothing wrong with backing up (copying) and restoring your data folders like Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc...

I would recommend re-installing all the applications you want as 64-bit.

You can also use the excellent "Aptik" application to get a list of installed applications. Make an Aptik backup to an external USB drive or large enough USB Stick using your currently installed 32-bit system, then install the 64-bit system and Aptik. You can also click the Aptik application advanced options Restore to view the application packages that were backed up, see screenshot, or browse to the Aptik backup file in the backup folder "/packages/files/selected.list" and or "/packages/files/installed.list", right-click and open with text editor.

I do not know if Aptik would restore (install) 64-bit versions of the backed up application packages from a 32-bit system on the new 64-bit system, but you can use its list of packages to help; Maybe if you did not restore or select "cache - downloaded packages" option when restoring packages? With your scenario, I would only restore "repos = repositories" and "packages", and obviously reboot afterward.

aptik: tool for migrating system settings and data for distributions based on Debian, Arch and Fedora. Can backup and restore software repositories, packages, icons, themes, fonts, users, groups, home data, dconf settings, fstab/crypttab entries, and cron tasks.
https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik

Aptik v18.5.2 – Tony George – Medium
https://medium.com/@teejeetech/aptik-v1 ... 635a66490a

Small example of my Aptik "selected.list"
Aptik backup wrote: # Packages listed in this file will be installed on restore
# Comment-out or remove lines for unwanted items
2webp # An application to conver to webp format
4kslideshowmaker # 4K Slidshow Maker is an easy and free
4kvideodownloader # Download online video
4kvideotomp3 # Convert video to mp3
aac-enc # Fraunhofer FDK AAC Codec Library - frontend binary
aacgain # Lossless mp4 normalizer with statistical analysis

...and many more entries
Hope this helps ...
Aptik_View_Installed_Software_Applcations2.jpg
Aptik - Viewing the Application packages that were backed up.
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

redlined
Level 5
Level 5

Post by redlined » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:50 pm

smurphos wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:30 am
I've used this command before (found somewhere on askubuntu) which I think generates the same output of user installed packages. It does require the user to have an intact var/log/installer/initial-status.gz. If they have run bleachbit or other cleaners that might not be the case... :roll:

comm -23 <(apt-mark showmanual | sort -u) <(gzip -dc /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz | sed -n 's/^Package: //p' | sort -u)

It looks like running just gzip -dc /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz | sed -n 's/^Package: //p' | sort -u provides the original list of default packages?
Thanks for posting this smurphos! These two commands appear to be exactly what I was looking for (having forgotten about the aptik method phd21 mentions above).

How can I edit to add a print results to file for those commands though? (preferred to c&p of terminal results)
LM19.1 Cinnamon 4.0.9, kernel 4.18.0-15 x86_64
HP15 Laptop: 2Ghz Celeron quad core, 1TB 860 Evo SSD, 8GB Timetec RAM

My go to sites, besides this forum:
(start here! - EasyLinuxTips project then go Learn Linux-fu!

Return to “Software & Applications”