Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
liberace
Level 1
Level 1

Reinstall packages after switch from 32 to 64bit

Post by liberace » Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 am

Soon i want to switch from Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE 32 bit to the 64 bit version by a fresh install

1. What is the best way to list the present installed packages and how to reinstall the packages in a way that i get the 64 bit versionm of the packages?
2. How about the home directory. I can copy the documents, pictures, music etc. But how about the config files.Can i copy those as well? For example in GIMP i have lot of scripts and plugins.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Reinstall packages after switch from 32 to 64bit

Post by xenopeek » Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 am

I've attached the list of default Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce packages. Download it and extract it.
xfce183.zip
(10.55 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Then open a terminal where you extracted the xfce183 file and run this command:
comm -13 xfce183 <(dpkg --get-selections | grep install | sed 's/[:\t].*//' | sort -u)
This will list all the packages you added to your Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce. You can use that list to reinstall them all (of just the ones you pick from that list) quickly on your new install. I'd wait with reinstalling to Linux Mint 19 Xfce though. A beta should be upcoming within a month I think.

If you want to reinstall all the packages from above list you can use this command to get a tidier list:
comm -13 xfce183 <(dpkg --get-selections | grep install | sed 's/[:\t].*//' | sort -u) | paste -sd ' '
Handy for doing apt install <list of package names here> on a new install.

As for your home directory you can copy config files.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Mon May 21, 2018 7:43 am

:!: I cannot guarantee that this will always work, so make a backup and proceed at your own peril. :!:

I have reused a complete /home partition from a 17.3 32-bits installation for a 18.1 64-bits installation...
and all that went wrong was that there were two applications duplicated in the menu, and of each, only one was working properly.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Mon May 21, 2018 9:30 am

xenopeek wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 am
I've attached the list of default Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce packages. Download it and extract it.
Hi xenopeek,

Are these lists available anywhere for public download?

I've used this command before (found somewhere on askubuntu) which I think generates the same output of user installed packages. It does require the user to have an intact var/log/installer/initial-status.gz. If they have run bleachbit or other cleaners that might not be the case... :roll:

comm -23 <(apt-mark showmanual | sort -u) <(gzip -dc /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz | sed -n 's/^Package: //p' | sort -u)

It looks like running just gzip -dc /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz | sed -n 's/^Package: //p' | sort -u provides the original list of default packages?
Last edited by smurphos on Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 am

I just fetched it from the ISO in a virtual machine.

Perhaps yours would exclude dependency packages? There are multiple ways to get it done I think.

Return to “Software & Applications”