Add google to firefox search permanently

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reppa

Add google to firefox search permanently

Post by reppa »

Hello,

After every update of Firefox browser I have to add Google as search engine from site:
https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php

How to make this action permanent?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Add google to firefox search permanantly

Post by Pierre »

you probably can't do that,, as each release of FireFox can reset the search back to the Firefox's default.

it's not that hard to change Firefox search engine, as it's just a few clicks of the mouse.
- your real issue, is that you are moving towards using Google,
as most folks are trying to Stop using Google.
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pierre wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:10 pm - your real issue, is that you are moving towards using Google,
as most folks are trying to Stop using Google.
:lol:
I respectfully disagree that this is the OP's real issue... surely everyone gets to decide that for themselves?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

While I'm not sure why this is happening in the OP's case, I can say that every time I've updated Firefox (via the Update Manager, never the terminal,) I've had Firefox open during the update and restart it after it finishes. I have never had to reset my default search engine (also Google) doing it this way.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi there reppa;

our Firefox has the menu toolbar at the top: ie I can see File then Edit then View etc ......

So I would go to EDIT then down to the bottom of the list to PREFERENCES

when you open that, you get the options in the thumbnail I enclose; choose the google site you want; then I suggest you select SHOW YOUR HOME PAGE and make that HOME PAGE be the google you want;

then select USE CURRENT PAGES from the options below ... that should work ... (it does for us)

if you don't have that EDIT ..... PREFERENCES option then go to the MENU option top right on Firefox: OPEN MENU and have a hunt around there preferences is also listed there
firefox.png
reppa

Post by reppa »

Thank you for replies. That is what I was afraid of - it cannot be done (since mint has contract with DDG)
In preferences I have disabled "update search engines automatically" and also have disabled FF sync. Lets see if it makes difference in next update.
MrEen, what are those settings for you?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Sorry reppa, mine are enabled.
reppa

Post by reppa »

The problem still persist after next upgrade.

1) Computer was turned off few weeks.
2) Turned on and mintupdate GUI notified me on update check, that APT in use or similar. ps aux showed apt.daily cronjob working.
3) Mint 60.0.2 got installed in background. PS: actually I have modified automatic updates by adding mint "repos" to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades.

Code: Select all

Unattended-Upgrade::Allowed-Origins {
	"${distro_id}:${distro_codename}";
	"${distro_id}:${distro_codename}-security";
	"linuxmint:sonya"; //just noticed it should be sylvia now but to this problem does not matter.
	"Ubuntu:xenial-security";
        "Ubuntu:xenial-updates";
        "Ubuntu:xenial";
        "Ubuntu:xenial-updates";
4) I have restarted firefox and Help - about showed version 60.0.2. Google search was still enabled.
5) here is apt/term.log

$ grep firefox /var/log/apt/term.log
Preparing to unpack .../firefox_60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking firefox (60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) over (60.0.1+linuxmint1+sylvia) ...
Preparing to unpack .../firefox-locale-en_60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking firefox-locale-en (60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) over (60.0.1+linuxmint1+sylvia) ...
Preparing to unpack .../firefox-locale-et_60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking firefox-locale-et (60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) over (60.0.1+linuxmint1+sylvia) ...
Paki firefox (60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) paikasättimine ...
Please restart all running instances of firefox, or you will experience problems.
Paki firefox-locale-en (60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) paikasättimine ...
Paki firefox-locale-et (60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) paikasättimine ...
6) mint update still shows update for firefox 60.0.2 and I do Upgrade (again): Check ff.png
7) apt/term.log:

Preparing to unpack .../firefox_60.0.2+linuxmint1+sylvia_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking firefox (60.0.2+linuxmint1+sylvia) over (60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../firefox-locale-en_60.0.2+linuxmint1+sylvia_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking firefox-locale-en (60.0.2+linuxmint1+sylvia) over (60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../firefox-locale-et_60.0.2+linuxmint1+sylvia_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking firefox-locale-et (60.0.2+linuxmint1+sylvia) over (60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) ...
Paki firefox (60.0.2+linuxmint1+sylvia) paikasättimine ...
Please restart all running instances of firefox, or you will experience problems.
Paki firefox-locale-en (60.0.2+linuxmint1+sylvia) paikasättimine ...
Paki firefox-locale-et (60.0.2+linuxmint1+sylvia) paikasättimine ...
8. Google is gone from search options
9) at first got installed firefox_60.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_amd64.deb and later firefox_60.0.2+linuxmint1+sylvia_amd64.deb

To me looks like I need to keep using only Ubuntu version of Firefox and not Mint version. How to achive that? Disable Mint update manager? Would like to use it for Mint upgrades and helps to keep track that system is current.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, reppa.
reppa wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:35 pmThe problem still persist after next upgrade.
[...]
To me looks like I need to keep using only Ubuntu version of Firefox and not Mint version.
How to achive that?
Solution: >> /etc/apt/preferences/firefox-ubuntu.pref <<

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
reppa

Re: Add google to firefox search permanently

Post by reppa »

Hi karlchen,

Will try it and let you know.
Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”