Zoom video conferencing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Zoom video conferencing

Post by marcia »

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know if zoom video conferencing works with linux? I have lm xfce 18.3.

inxi -Fxd
System: Host: xxxx Kernel: 4.4.0-119-lowlatency x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: Gigabyte product: N/A
Mobo: AMD model: 990FXA-UD3 v: x.x
Bios: American Megatrends v: FA date: 10/23/2012
CPU: Quad core AMD FX-4300 (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 30541
clock speeds: max: 3800 MHz 1: 1800 MHz 2: 1800 MHz 3: 1800 MHz
4: 1800 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA GF116 High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-119-lowlatency
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: b000 bus-ID: 05:00.0
IF: enp5s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
mac: 9xxxxxxxxxx
Drives: HDD Total Size: 6001.2GB (12.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_HDWE140 size: 4000.8GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST2000DM001 size: 2000.4GB
Optical: /dev/sr0 model: ASUS DRW-24B1ST c
rev: 1.05 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
Features: speed: 48x multisession: yes
audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 3.6T used: 684G (20%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 13.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:39C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 246 Uptime: 38 min Memory: 942.7/16079.8MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

I use a logitech C910 HD webcam and it works well with guvcview and skype. I found an older thread that mentions someone did get zoom video conferencing to work, but they do not explain how they accomplished this: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=237280&p=1264621&h ... g#p1263483

If anyone knows how to do this I will appreciate your input greatly.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

Marcia
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Zoom video conferencing

Post by phd21 »

Hi marcia,

Zoom Feature Spotlight: Linux Client
https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2017/07/ ... ux-client/

Download Center - Zoom
- select Ubuntu, 64-bit or 32-bit, version 14.04 +, click the download button to save the Linux deb file, then double-click it to install it.
https://zoom.us/download?os=linux

FYI: There are other various free and paid for multimedia (text, audio/voice/ video chat) applications that work with Linux, free one like: "Wire", "qTox", Ring?, Jitsi, etc... And, there are many posts on this topic as well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Hi phd21,

Thank you very much for the info and links. I am open to other solutions as long as it accommodates linux, windows, mac, ios, and android. Most people joining me in the video conference will be new to this and will want something very easy.

Thank you again for the info and such a fast response.

Sincerely,

Marcia
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi marcia,

You are welcome...

I have never heard of or used "Zoom" before, but you should have been able to easily install in your Linux Mint system with the instructions I gave you.

The other multimedia messaging options I recommended are secure messaging applications.

"Wire" was created by some ex-Skype developers and works on all platforms.
Download · Wire
https://wire.com/en/download/

Ring gives you a full control over your communications and an unmatched level of privacy.
https://ring.cx/

"Jitsi" works on all platforms through the web and or installed desktop applications.
Jitsi Meet Jitsi
https://jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/

My favorite is "qTox (Qtox)" which works on the secure "tox" network (Linux, Windows, OSX). There are various Tox software clients for smartphones, tablets, and computers and anyone using any of them can communicate with each other. I have not used this for conference calls, but the tox clients can do that.

Tox Clients
https://tox.chat/clients.html

FYI: qTox (Qtox) secure messenger installation - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=257745&hilit=qtox

"Linphone" is another, but I do not know if it does conference calls either. I cannot get this to work on my KDE 18.3 system perhaps because it is conflicting with all the other multimedia messengers I have installed.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

On Mac: Easy 3 step setup: 1) Install the Zoom Rooms iPad App, 2) Connect to Zoom Rooms running on your Mac or PC, and 3) Click on "Meet Now" to start.
It's like Signal. Linphone can be installed directly on your Mac - is a normal application. Ring as well.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Zoom works fine on Linux. I have attended many online meetings and webinars using Zoom. And just the other day, created my first Zoom meeting from my Android phone and ran it from the phone in a park. The other one that's popular is Maestro, but I have never been able to get it to work on the computer, it only works over the phone, which doesn't have video. Every Zoom meeting/webinar I have participated in has worked flawlessly.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Thank you Everyone!

You all have given such great suggestions. To phd21: your directions were great. It is easy in linux. Thanks very much.

I will check out the mentioned alternatives to Zoom. We probably will use zoom for a bit since we know of another group
of like people doing their meetings with it and they say it works very well for them. Many who will be joining our meetings
are very computer challenged. Qtox seems interesting. Looking forward to trying these.

It is great to know that there are nice alternatives.

Thank you all again.

SIncerely,

Marcia
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi marcia,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Marcia,

FYI: You and everyone you know can go to the web page below to try Jitsi Meet.

Jitsi Meet - free secure video conferencing, go to the link below, put in some name like Marcia or a group name, then click "Go". You will be asked to allow your browser to use the camera and mic say yes, there will be links and information you can give to everyone else to access your Jitsi Meet Conference.
https://meet.jit.si/
Jitsi Meet wrote: Download link
https://jitsi.org/downloads

Go ahead, video chat with the whole team. In fact, invite everyone you know. Jitsi Meet is a fully encrypted, 100% open source video conferencing solution that you can use all day, every day, for free — with no account needed.

What else can you do with Jitsi Meet?
Share your desktop, presentations, and more
Invite users to a conference via a simple, custom URL
Edit documents together using Etherpad
Pick fun meeting URLs for every meeting
Trade messages and emojis while you video conference, with integrated chat.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Thank you phd21!

I went to google chrome and tried jitsi. It worked great for my test. So easy. I am impressed. I may have my group use this.
First I tried to install the jitsi package but it would not install because videobridge could not be installed. It appears I do not
need to install anything anyway. Thanks for your guidance. Good way to get some of the more computer challenged started
with video conferencing.

Thanks again.

Marcia
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI marcia,

You are welcome...

Yeah, I don't think you need to install anything to use the secure Jitsi Meet video conferencing, just go to that website.

I do have the Jitsi applications installed because the secure "Jitsi" desktop multimedia messaging application works with multiple chat clients at the same time (google talk/hangouts, xmpp/jabber, sip/voip, etc..), so if someone wanted to contact me through one of my Google Mail (talk/hangout) accounts, or one of my xmpp/jabber accounts, or my sip/voip account, I only need one application running to do that. You can have more than one messaging app running; I always have "qTox" and a multi-account multimedia mesaging app running.

Installing Jitsi and Jitsi meet in Linux Mint

To install this using the add their software repository method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

wget -qO - https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi-key.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb https://download.jitsi.org stable/' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jitsi-stable.list"

sudo apt-get -y update

sudo apt-get -y install jitsi-meet jitsi
Hope this helps ...
Jitsi_DesktopApp1.jpg
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Hi phd21,

Thank you for these excellent instructions. When I get more time again,soon, I will do more with this.

Is there an advantage to installing these packages?

Thank you so very much.

Best regards,

Marcia
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Hi phd21,

I see that you already had the answer to my question in your instructions. Please
excuse me for not reading your words carefully. :oops:

Do you know if someone wants to use facetime on their iphone, if they can join in a
jitsi video conference?

Thanks very much again for your great help.

Sincerely,

Marcia

Return to “Software & Applications”