How to login after setting the system not to ask the password?[SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foersu
Level 3
Level 3

How to login after setting the system not to ask the password?[SOLVED]

Post by foersu »

Hello,

just exploring the possibilities and setup of my system, I changed under Whisker-Menu -> System -> Users and Groups (German: Whisker-Menü -> System -> Benutzer und Gruppen) the settings of a user to not to ask for the password at login time.

After that, when I start the computer, the start screen shows the user, the password field shows the word "Login" (German: Anmelden), the field is not editable, but nothing happens when the key <Enter> is pressed or the field is clicked with the mouse.
The same screen appears again, it is not possible to login with the user.

Can somebody help? Thanx!

My system:
Linux Mint 18.3, Xfce, 64 bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
a_linux_user

Re: How to login after setting the system not to ask the password?

Post by a_linux_user »

The field is not editable, but nothing happens when the key <Enter> is pressed or the field is clicked with the mouse.
The same screen appears again, it is not possible to login with the user.
So you mean, if you said that you can't login with that user, then there's other users?

Because if your other user is an administrator, then you can go there, go to Users and Groups, find your user that you edited, edit a password, and voila! You can enter there again.

Linux Mint is really in for 'privacy', so if you want to remove your password, don't choose Linux Mint.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

When you are in the login screen, press Ctrl Alt F2 and login via tty (command prompt). Then run command startx -- :1

PS. When you have reached graphical environment, set the passwordless login off. :wink:
PS2. Notice that there are caps between startx, -- and : in the startx -- :1 command.
foersu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foersu »

Hi,

thank you very much for the hints.

By means of a tty session I could get access to the system again and correct things.
I will create an user account for this kind of playground experiments :idea:

Regards.

Return to “Software & Applications”