Screen capture suggestions please

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
b_hayles

Screen capture suggestions please

Post by b_hayles »

I just came to linux from Win 7 5 days ago and love it so far, but have a small problem. I have been using TechSmith's SnagIt for years and am happy with it. I talked to their techies today and they do not have a linux version nor is there one currently in the pipeline, so...

What is a good linux alternative to SnagIt?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Screen capture suggestions please

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Try here:

https://alternativeto.net/software/snag ... form=linux

Shutter is highly recommended. Ignore the comment. Yes SnagIt does editing as well, which you can do in GIMP.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

If all you want it screenshots, there should be a screenshot tool in the Accessories folder. If you want to record your screen with audio, SimpleScreenRecorder.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi b_hayles,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

FYI - "ksnip" really nice screen capture app with Imgur upload and built-in painter functions
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=260112&hilit=ksnip

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I think you are using Cinnamon?

Built in tools.

Screen recorder - Ctrl-Alt-Shift-R to start and end recordings. Recordings are saved in your home by default. It uses webm format.

Screenshot (gnome-screenshot) should be the menu - it can also be launched by keyboard shortcuts - check the Keyboard settings module for the defaults - I can't recall what they are.

I highly recommend this third party panel applet to manage screenshots and recording - https://github.com/rjanja/desktop-capture - it integrates with the built in tools or you can use other third party tools with it. Byanz is a great little screenrecorder to go with this applet which outputs animated gifs by default - often an easier format for posting on forums and the like. It's available from Software Manager.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
charvey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by charvey »

Open Broadcaster Software or OBS is a free open source screen capture with tons and tons of features and looks great. i have done side by side comparison with same type programs in Linux and just love it. Have a look here https://obsproject.com/ i use for tutorials or game recording. you will love it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What is the exact version of Mint and desktop environment that you're using?
What features do you want a screen shot tool to have?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
b_hayles

Post by b_hayles »

Cinnamon 18.3....Don't know what desktop environment means...a PC?

Simple screenshots
Screen recording with audio that does a good job of syncing audio and video

That is my basic minimum needs. Beyond that, anything else that SnagIt does...It has a good image editing toolkit.

Simple. I'm new to Mint and new to linux in general. Prefer to avoid command line as much as possible.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi b_hayles,

All desktop editions of Linux Mint already come with a good basic screen capture (print screen) tool. There are currently 4 Linux Mint desktops (editions): Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, and KDE.

+1 for installing and using "SimpleScreenRecorder (SSR)" one of the best (if not the best) desktop screen video recorders, screencasting tools.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
b_hayles

Post by b_hayles »

The built in tool that smurphos suggested would do, except...

I can work with the screen capture that is in Mint, and the screen recorder woule do as well IF I could get it to record audio. The video looks fine but its not picking up any audio, either from the system or thru my mic. Solutions?

EDIT: Oooops. I'm running dual monitors. On both the screenshot AND the video capture it grabs both. How do I isolate one screen?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

b_hayles wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:12 am Cinnamon 18.3....Don't know what desktop environment means...a PC?
In your case, Cinnamon is the desktop environment.

If you only want to take a picture of the screen, the PrtSc key will do that.
If you want a picture of a part of the screen, holding Shift and tapping PrtSc briefly will turn the cursor into a cross for selecting that part.

Beyond that, you'll need to add a specific application... but there are tons. Keep in mind that many people here have never used Snagit and don't know what all it can do.

Personally I take screenshots in the standard tool (as described above) and I have installed Pinta to make simple edits: adding cirkles, arrows and text.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
b_hayles

Post by b_hayles »

Thanks Moem...Pinta will do just what I want. Already installed and checked it out.

Now folks, I'm left with the video capture issue.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I used dconf-editor program to set my screenshot PRNSCR button to the "interactive" mode in MATE.

Code: Select all

gnome-screenshot -i 
which allows me choices on what sort of screen capture to do.

For recording, I use RecordMyDesktop program from the repository. I usually set it to 15 FPS which is sufficient for most of what I capture, but can do 30 FPS easily too. Can save as mp4 or other formats.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
b_hayles

Post by b_hayles »

OK...Settled (I think) on Simple Screen Recorder. My understanding is to use terminal and then enter:

sudo apt-get update
I did. So far, so good. Next I entered:

sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
Not good. I get:

b_hayles@b ~ $ sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package simplescreenrecorder
Next?

EDIT: One other thing...a YouTube video by the author of SSS said it recorded in 720p, but it was an older video...2015 or thereabouts. Is it still 720p or has it been upgraded to 1080p (I don't edit feature films so I don't need 4K...LOL).

EDIT 2: Is this my next step, is this safe, and do I go one line at the time or all at once?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder

sudo apt-get update
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi b_hayles,

1.) Don't forget to try "Ksnip" an excellent screen capture application with built-in painter functions, see my previous link.
Download the Ksnip AppImage file, give yourself permission to run it, then double-click it to run it.
https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip/r ... 4.AppImage

2.) SimpleScreenRecorder
http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder simplescreenrecorder-lib
# if you want to record 32-bit OpenGL applications on a 64-bit system:

sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder-lib:i386

Hope this helps ...
b_hayles

Post by b_hayles »

Following instructions, this is the result of the last command:

b_hayles@b ~ $ sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package simplescreenrecorder
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

sudo apt-get install recordmydesktop
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi b_hayles,

Just follow my last reply's instructions all three main commands, starting with adding the PPA again, updating, then install using the commands.
b_hayles

Post by b_hayles »

phd21...And then find it...where...on my computer? (I told y'all I was a total newbie...LOL)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI b_hayles,

On my system, it shows up in the Multimedia Menu which you can right-click and add to your desktop or panel.

Return to “Software & Applications”