Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Darragh
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> IntelliJ Installation

Post by Darragh » Wed May 23, 2018 8:05 am

Hello,
I'm trying to install the IntelliJ IDE. Sadly, it's not in the application manager. I followed the instructions on this site : https://www.jetbrains.com/help/idea/ins ... oduct.html

I did install it in /opt. My problem is, that I can only start IntelliJ when I go into the folder and run the idea.sh file, with which I did the installation. I would like to find IntelliJ in the search bar in my menu.
Some information that may be useful: The folder with IntelliJ is the only one in /opt. I did just copy the commands from the site. To clarify this, I'm pretty new to Linux, please keep that in mind, when answering my question.

So, did I to something wrong? How can I fix it?
Last edited by Darragh on Fri May 25, 2018 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

InkedAZ
Level 1
Level 1

Re: IntelliJ Installation

Post by InkedAZ » Wed May 23, 2018 8:24 am

My reply isn't a fix, but I also use IntelliJ. What I do is download the Jetbrains Toolbox, extract it to a folder to keep it in (I put it in a subfolder of my home folder) and then just run it. Using that I install IntelliJ and I'm easily able to keep it updated. It's very convenient. You can install all their apps with it along with early access versions.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:14 pm

Create a .desktop file to execute PATH/idea.sh and put that file into $HOME/.local/share/applications/ or /usr/share/applications/. If you search for "IntelliJ IDE .desktop file" you'll find examples (i.e., add_intellij_launcer).

Documentation: Desktop Entry Specification

Whenever you hear things dealing with menu's, desktop files, go to freedesktop.org. It is a "standard" that most desktops follow.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu May 24, 2018 8:51 am

AFAIK all programs installed from tar files by compiling and building have to be added to the app menu manually.

Darragh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darragh » Fri May 25, 2018 7:00 am

lmuserx4849 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:14 pm
Create a .desktop file to execute PATH/idea.sh and put that file into $HOME/.local/share/applications/ or /usr/share/applications/. If you search for "IntelliJ IDE .desktop file" you'll find examples (i.e., add_intellij_launcer).

Documentation: Desktop Entry Specification

Whenever you hear things dealing with menu's, desktop files, go to freedesktop.org. It is a "standard" that most desktops follow.
With your example link I was able to add all my missing Applications to the menu. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”