<SOLVED> IntelliJ Installation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darragh

<SOLVED> IntelliJ Installation

Post by Darragh »

Hello,
I'm trying to install the IntelliJ IDE. Sadly, it's not in the application manager. I followed the instructions on this site : https://www.jetbrains.com/help/idea/ins ... oduct.html

I did install it in /opt. My problem is, that I can only start IntelliJ when I go into the folder and run the idea.sh file, with which I did the installation. I would like to find IntelliJ in the search bar in my menu.
Some information that may be useful: The folder with IntelliJ is the only one in /opt. I did just copy the commands from the site. To clarify this, I'm pretty new to Linux, please keep that in mind, when answering my question.

So, did I to something wrong? How can I fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
InkedAZ

Re: IntelliJ Installation

Post by InkedAZ »

My reply isn't a fix, but I also use IntelliJ. What I do is download the Jetbrains Toolbox, extract it to a folder to keep it in (I put it in a subfolder of my home folder) and then just run it. Using that I install IntelliJ and I'm easily able to keep it updated. It's very convenient. You can install all their apps with it along with early access versions.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Create a .desktop file to execute PATH/idea.sh and put that file into $HOME/.local/share/applications/ or /usr/share/applications/. If you search for "IntelliJ IDE .desktop file" you'll find examples (i.e., add_intellij_launcer).

Documentation: Desktop Entry Specification

Whenever you hear things dealing with menu's, desktop files, go to freedesktop.org. It is a "standard" that most desktops follow.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

AFAIK all programs installed from tar files by compiling and building have to be added to the app menu manually.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Darragh

Post by Darragh »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:14 pm Create a .desktop file to execute PATH/idea.sh and put that file into $HOME/.local/share/applications/ or /usr/share/applications/. If you search for "IntelliJ IDE .desktop file" you'll find examples (i.e., add_intellij_launcer).

Documentation: Desktop Entry Specification

Whenever you hear things dealing with menu's, desktop files, go to freedesktop.org. It is a "standard" that most desktops follow.
With your example link I was able to add all my missing Applications to the menu. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”