Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
danneauxs
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] banshee 2.6.2 record extention

Post by danneauxs » Wed May 23, 2018 7:18 pm

Love Mint. The only thing I even keep a VM of windows for is audible (tunebite) to record music from streaming sites. I've been researching for the last hour how to do this and I found information on banshee and rhythmbox stream recording. I tried installing RB but got some weird python error research didn't find an answer before I gave up. Looked into the banshee option but I can't find a current community extension for banshee or any. Is this broken in updates? Did it get removed from the universe? I don't think I'll be able to get the functionality I got with audible where I could record r from my amazon prime or account. I'd settle for at least being able to stream a radio station and record the songs with title and artist.

Any suggestions?

Danneauxs
Last edited by danneauxs on Mon May 28, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Re: banshee 2.6.2 record extention

Post by phd21 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi danneauxs,

Previous post
How to install Kstreamripper - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=206111&hilit=streamripper

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

all41
Level 12
Level 12

Post by all41 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:59 pm

@Danneauxs,
I use vlc for audio streaming. If you select VLC/View/Advanced Controls you will get a 'Record' button.
What you hear is what gets recorded.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

danneauxs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danneauxs » Thu May 24, 2018 7:20 pm

Thanks. Tried that but from what I saw it's one continuous file rather than broken into individual songs. Is that correct.

Update: I was at the end of a very long day when I posted this question. I neglected to give mint version info mint 17.2 Mate is what I'm running.

This is how tired I was. Mint 17.2 is my main system and I've been using it since Mint 13 and updating. My media server was a windows 10 pc that went flacky on me so i killed it and installed mint 18 mate. I'm so used to the 2 pc's being linux and Win 10 that I completely forgot I changed the win 10 to linux. A little research and I found a program called "audio recorder". You start that program, set it up so that it uses Rhythmbox as it's audio source then start streaming internet radio and it saves each song as a seperate file named by (in my case) artist - title.

Danneauxs

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:22 pm

HI danneauxs,

The link I provided has a lot of information on this, and some of the various options can separate streams into individual tracks.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

danneauxs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danneauxs » Fri May 25, 2018 5:36 pm

@phd21

Thanks, I'll check it out. I didn't see your reply when I last visited this thread, sorry. rhrthmbox and audio recorder are NOT working as expected, it's reading the song names, making files but only 17Kb with no audio. Gonna check out your link and fiddle some more.

Thanks
Danneauxs

danneauxs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danneauxs » Sun May 27, 2018 5:13 pm

Well, never got audio recorder to play well with rhythmbox. It would record the first song and save it. Then the next song would start and the meta data would be passed to audio recorder where it would show up in the filename box but when RB started the next song the filename wouldn't be updated and all the music would be saved in one file (did not click the add button).

While searching the thread given by @phd21, I started searching for kstreamripper and came across this article:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/666751/ ... artist-etc
which was a post looking for basically what I was. The user found 2 windows programs that worked with wine and playonlinux. I gave streamwriter a try and it worked great. Even better it can record more than one stream at once. Fast way to build up a library.

I haven't tried the streamtuner2 & streamripper combo just yet. I'm leary of .deb since I've run into issues with dependencies.

I want to thank everyone who has responded. Each response gave me information that I didn't have and has increased my knowledge.

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Sun May 27, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi danneauxs,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

There is a lot of good information in the Link I provided on easily doing what you wanted in Linux without using Wine or Ms Windows applications.

As the link explained, first install "streamripper" and "fadecut" from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). "Streamripper" can easily do what you want from the console terminal command prompt, but there are desktop applications that use "Streamripper" and or "fadecut", like Amarok which does exactly what you wanted to do, so does StreamTuner2, StreamRipStar (Java based app), Kradio, etc... from Linux without using the Linux Wine system.

There is nothing wrong with installing Linux deb files at all, if you went to install a deb file and it comes up with an error, then do not install it and it probably would not let you install it.

The excellent "Audio Recorder" records anything from your desktop, it will not break audio streams into tracks or songs though.

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi danneauxs,

I forgot to mention:

1.) The really nice "Sayonara" music application can also play and record web streams (streaming radio) and it saves by track. Click View then web streams enter in a web stream name and URL click the play and or record buttons.
Sayonara Player Official Site - Features
https://sayonara-player.com/features.php

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:lucioc/sayonara

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install sayonara

2.) "Streamtastic" is another Java application that has many streaming stations and can record web streams (streaming radio) and it saves by track. Has various preference settings and you can select the music application like "/usr/bin/audacious", or "/usr/bin/banshee", etc... You save the file, extract here and run the "Streamtastic.sh" which you can create a desktop shortcut to and or menu item to.

Streamtastic in Launchpad
https://launchpad.net/streamtastic

Download link
https://launchpad.net/streamtastic/trun ... -rev77.zip

Hope this helps ...
Sayonara_StreamRecord1.jpg
Sayonara
Streamtastic1.jpg
Streamtastic

danneauxs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danneauxs » Mon May 28, 2018 7:48 am

phd21,

thanks, those look like exactly what I am looking for. I will try them both.

Thanks again for the detailed and helpfull answer.

danneauxs

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:21 am

Hi danneauxs,

You are welcome...

Return to “Software & Applications”