[SOLVED]] After update Firefox doesn't remember settings

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint user 2142

[SOLVED]] After update Firefox doesn't remember settings

Post by Mint user 2142 »

Hi, this morning I started using firefox and noticed that all of my settings had reverted to default. It is possible the update I ran this morning (GMT+10 time) could have caused this, but I know it wasn't a firefox update. (Can't remember exact utility) I have been using linux mint + firefox without issue for years now, so this is unusual.

Changing the settings does not save and upon being reloaded, firefox returns to default (still has all extensions/addons, but enabled/disabled as in default settings)

Is there some way to repeal updates to test if this will get firefox t remember settings?
I've done some searches but nobody else seems to be reporting this issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: After update Firefox doesn't remember settings

Post by Pierre »

there has been some anecdotal evidence that something is going on with Firefox,,
so initially, just try resetting FF:
- - Help - Troubleshooting Information - Refresh Firefox
and then see if that helps all.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Mint user 2142

Post by Mint user 2142 »

Thanks for the fast reply, I'm not sure how to follow that instruction however.

Doesn't seem to be a terminal command, it's not in the "help" option in the start menu or update manager?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

you need to start using Timeshift

Every time, something is about to change, I make a Timeshift backup before, and right after doing so.
have Timeshift save to an extUSB drive, or a separate partition on the HDD in use. The latter is what I am doing with this Dell.

That way if things get screwed up, you can back out of it.
Note that I label each backup as to the status of that particular backup. Backups are useless if you don't know anything about them.

here is a log of my Timeshifts for this Dell laptop, which is my "backup" for when my Daily Driver is down.... ( which it is, the HDD failed miserably )

Last edited by AZgl1800 on Thu May 24, 2018 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

as for FF itself, try restarting it in Safe Mode:

Help / Restart with Addons Disabled

or, even more bare bones, make a copy of .mozilla like I have here, and then delete the .mozilla file.

then start FF and see if it will keep your preferences after you set them again.

you can always delete the new profile copy and rename the copy back to just .mozilla

if you can't see the . files use Control-H to make them visible. If you can't delete .mozilla, then open Home as root

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Mint user 2142 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 pm Thanks for the fast reply, I'm not sure how to follow that instruction however.

Doesn't seem to be a terminal command, it's not in the "help" option in the start menu or update manager?
that's strange - - when in FireFox:
- click on the Help Name Tab that is at The Top of the Screen
- click on the Troubleshooting Information Name Tab that is within the list of Help Items.
on that New Screen Tab:
- click on the Refresh FireFox Name / Icon that is the Top Right Corner.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Mint user 2142 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 pmDoesn't seem to be a terminal command, it's not in the "help" option in the start menu or update manager?
It's all in firefox: if you have the menu-bar, click "Help"; if you don't have the menu-bar, click the three lines (in upper-right, sometimes they call it a "hamburger") to bring up a menu. "Help" is on that menu, near the bottom: click it. A new menu pops up: click "Troubleshooting ...".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint user 2142

Post by Mint user 2142 »

Thank you, It wasn't obvious which "help" i should look in at first. Rebuilding firefox has worked, had to redo the settings but they've stayed in place since.

Return to “Software & Applications”