Network manager tooltip doesn't display network stats

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Network manager tooltip doesn't display network stats

Post by cdaaawg »

Hi all,
Using fully updated versions of Linux Mint 18.x MATE 64-bit; when hovering over the network manager icon, tooltip does not show the wlan SSID nor relative signal strength. This feature works on LM 17.x and is quite useful as I connect to multiple wlans. It may be because I did not have a connection when I installed the system. Is there a fix for this or has it been removed by design? Thanks for any Enlightenment on this issue!

Carl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Network manager tooltip doesn't display network stats

Post by trytip »

if you right click and Connection Information, does that work?
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg »

trytip wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:40 pm if you right click and Connection Information, does that work?
Yes, that displays the info -- but a properly operating tooltip requires no clicks and no visual searching.

Carl
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i was just making sure the icon gives you that option. try changing window managers in Control Center > desktop settings > windows > window manager > marco+compton logout/in
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg »

trytip wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:13 pm i was just making sure the icon gives you that option. try changing window managers in Control Center > desktop settings > windows > window manager > marco+compton logout/in
Changing the window manager to marco + compton then logging out/in has no effect on the nm icon tooltip -- it still does not display. This behavior is the same no matter the hardware (I administer multiple machines). Thanks for the suggestion, trytip. :) Do you suppose there might be a dconf setting that could is disabled? I have no idea where to look for such a setting.

Carl
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

ok, so i am now in live linux mint mate 18.3 and can confirm you are CORRECT, there is NO tooltip for network tray icon. that's very disappointing :? , but i don't know where to go from here only report a bug. i haven't installed on hardware and not sure if this will resolve by updating all 5 levels, so all i can say i get the same as you
shame because i am using mate 17.3 and thought about upgrading but the more i learn about 18.3 mate the less i want it

ps: everything else on the panel has a tooltip hovering mouse over except the network tray icon
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg »

trytip wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:43 pm ok, so i am now in live linux mint mate 18.3 and can confirm you are CORRECT, there is NO tooltip for network tray icon. that's very disappointing :? , but i don't know where to go from here only report a bug. i haven't installed on hardware and not sure if this will resolve by updating all 5 levels, so all i can say i get the same as you
shame because i am using mate 17.3 and thought about upgrading but the more i learn about 18.3 mate the less i want it

ps: everything else on the panel has a tooltip hovering mouse over except the network tray icon
Thanks for all the effort trytip! I too am disappointed in LM18, I have a number of machines with 18.2 and 18.3 and all have some annoying quirks, not the least of which is video driver problems (both nouveau as well as proprietary nVidia). I have all my LM 18.x machines updating to level 5 and none of the issues I have encountered have been resolved. Seems LM 18 was (is) not really ready for prime time -- disappointing :( to say the least! I have been using LM since LM 9 Nadia on disparate hardware and have not had this much trouble until LM18.

Thanks for all your efforts -- guess I'll file some bug reports.

Carl
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

well i just booted linux mint xfce 18.3 and the same thing happening here also. didn't notice before, things like this you tend overlook. in xfce 18.3 network tray and volume have no tooltips but after looking at it i see it's part of the Unity Indicator not sure why unity is used in xfce and not sure if mate or cinnamon uses the same thing

Return to “Software & Applications”