Problem with brightness in Linux Miint MATE Sonya

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
pianistseb
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 am

Problem with brightness in Linux Miint MATE Sonya

Post by pianistseb » Sat May 26, 2018 10:16 am

Hello! I just installed Linux Mint MATE and I have a big problem! I installed all the programs that I need and it works very fast (this is the reason why I prefer this Linux didtro), but sometimes I have problems with the screen's brightness. For example, sometimes the screen blinks very fast or the brightness tends to zero (and I can't fix it with the controls). I thought that the reason maybe is a program like redshift, but I purge it and nothing happens. I have the same problem. I hadn't this problem the first day of installation. I need some help because I have not enough time to install another distro, and I need my PC for work. Earlier, I had installed the same distro to this PC and I haven't any problem. But the things are not so well now. Thank you for your help. Sorry for my bad english.

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3855
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: Problem with brightness in Linux Miint MATE Sonya

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat May 26, 2018 11:25 am

There's no useful system info there at all ... copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here ... n o screenshots please ...

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

pianistseb
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 am

Re: Problem with brightness in Linux Miint MATE Sonya

Post by pianistseb » Sat May 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:25 am
There's no useful system info there at all ... copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here ... n o screenshots please ...

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
System: Host: 3niAc Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: System: LENOVO product: 80E3 v: Lenovo G50-45
Mobo: LENOVO model: Lancer 5B2 v: SDK0F82993 WIN
Bios: LENOVO v: A2CN25WW(V1.07) date: 08/26/2014
CPU: Dual core AMD E1-6010 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 5389
clock speeds: max: 1350 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1350 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R2 Graphics]
bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.46.0 / 4.8.0-53-generic, LLVM 3.8.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
driver: rtl8723be port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (15.8% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABF0 size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 291G used: 46G (17%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1
ID-2: /boot size: 473M used: 69M (16%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-3: swap-1 size: 1.83GB used: 0.65GB (35%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 52.4C mobo: N/A gpu: 51.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 200 Uptime: 3:40 Memory: 1334.6/1708.2MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10214
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Problem with brightness in Linux Miint MATE Sonya

Post by Pjotr » Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Try this:

1. Upgrade your kernel to the latest one of the 4.15 series:
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

Afterwards, reboot.

2. If no avail:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... adjustable
(item 5 and further, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

pianistseb
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 am

Re: Problem with brightness in Linux Miint MATE Sonya

Post by pianistseb » Sat May 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm
Try this:

1. Upgrade your kernel to the latest one of the 4.15 series:
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

Afterwards, reboot.

2. If no avail:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... adjustable
(item 5 and further, left column)
It wasn't good idea! It broke my system. Luckily, I had snapchots.

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10214
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Problem with brightness in Linux Miint MATE Sonya

Post by Pjotr » Sat May 26, 2018 5:47 pm

pianistseb wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:28 pm
Pjotr wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm
Try this:

1. Upgrade your kernel to the latest one of the 4.15 series:
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

Afterwards, reboot.

2. If no avail:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... adjustable
(item 5 and further, left column)
It wasn't good idea! It broke my system. Luckily, I had snapchots.
Exactly which step broke your system?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

pianistseb
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 am

Re: Problem with brightness in Linux Miint MATE Sonya

Post by pianistseb » Sat May 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:47 pm
pianistseb wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:28 pm
Pjotr wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm
Try this:

1. Upgrade your kernel to the latest one of the 4.15 series:
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

Afterwards, reboot.

2. If no avail:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... adjustable
(item 5 and further, left column)
It wasn't good idea! It broke my system. Luckily, I had snapchots.
Exactly which step broke your system?
When I reboot my computer it refused to take my password. Finally I entered to my system with the recover mode of kernel and I restore the system from the snapchot, because it seems that nothing was working well. I am a newbie in Linux and computers are not my specialty...

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”