Using the keypad to replace the mouse?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
peyrol
Level 3
Level 3

Using the keypad to replace the mouse?

Post by peyrol »

My OS is LM 18.1 64 bit with Mate. My mouse became unrecognized by the computer, which I ask about in the hardware forum. Looking for a workaround, first I pulled up the Keyboard Preferences window, and activated the Mouse Keys tab. There is a check box there to enable the keypad to move the pointer. I had great difficulty checking that box without a mouse. For example, I noticed that every fifth press of the Tab key would cause a blinking text cursor to appear in the text entry field, but there was no other indication of what item was selected. Meanwhile, the Close button remained highlighted regardless of what item was selected, so pressing Enter would close the window. I don't know how I finally managed to check that box.

Once I did, I could move the pointer with the keypad, but I can't select anything it sits on. I tried the keypad Enter key, the regular Enter key, and other keys, to no avail. So I have a way to replace mouse movement, but no replacement for clicking any mouse button.

What's a Mate keyboard replacement for clicking a mouse button where the pointer Is? TIA for any clue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Using the keypad to replace the mouse?

Post by MrEen »

I believe 5 is click, + is doubleclick.
peyrol
Level 3
Level 3

Post by peyrol »

Okay, thank you, 5 is usually left click, but sometimes it is right click I don't know how I am toggling it, and once it becomes right click, I cannot return it to left click. 0 appears to be right click.

Please, where is this documented? All the Mate keyboard commands lists I have found so far don't mention it.

Thanks again for your help.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I assumed mouse keys is mouse keys. The one I found was for Win7 here: https://www.nhs.uk/accessibilityhelp/Us ... Win-7.html

Return to “Software & Applications”