Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
alexa9
Level 1
Level 1

Youtube Screen Flashing/Stuttering

Post by alexa9 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:49 pm

The Youtube site seems to be flashing and showing weird lines occasionally in Google Chrome on Linux. Not a big deal but I'm wondering what is causing it. It is a graphic intense site but my computer is pretty new.
Intel 7th Gen i3 w/ integrated graphics
8GB RAM
SSD
Intel NUC / Dell Inspiron 3567 Laptop

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Youtube Screen Flashing/Stuttering

Post by trytip » Sun May 27, 2018 4:41 pm

are you using any extensions? clear your history first. google menu > history > history > clear browsing data > advanced > time range all time then close browser and test it again

alexa9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexa9 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:16 pm

trytip wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:41 pm
are you using any extensions? clear your history first. google menu > history > history > clear browsing data > advanced > time range all time then close browser and test it again
Thanks. I reset my data frequently. I do use Adblock which I know Youtube doesn't really like. I am wondering if it's the Chrome browser not being fully supported by Linux? I might try Youtube in Firefox as well.

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 pm

it's not chrome. i have an old 2007 computer with the newest kernel and the latest google-chrome and my videos are very snappy and no glitches. it might be your adblock which now sells third party data and anything interfering with partners of adblock just like ghostery makes your system halt or hiccup. switch to ublock origin
weird lines usually indicate errors in graphics going bad or bad drivers. do you have any drivers to install in Driver Manager? i would try youtube with no addons just in case for a few sessions

alexa9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexa9 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:29 pm

trytip wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 pm
it's not chrome. i have an old 2007 computer with the newest kernel and the latest google-chrome and my videos are very snappy and no glitches. it might be your adblock which now sells third party data and anything interfering with partners of adblock just like ghostery makes your system halt or hiccup. switch to ublock origin
weird lines usually indicate errors in graphics going bad or bad drivers. do you have any drivers to install in Driver Manager? i would try youtube with no addons just in case for a few sessions
Thanks! Updated the processor driver in driver manager and switched to ublock origin. Hopefully that will clear things up.

inRAIDius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by inRAIDius » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Seen this before. Mint still ships with an old Intel driver, navigate to Mint's homepage for the fix. Try not to use the Intel updater if it even still exists, it bricks machines. If you have Nvidia driver, update to latest. If you have the dreaded Optimus there is a driver for it at Nvidia.
A little research goes a long way...

Return to “Software & Applications”