Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ?? ( SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
User avatar
bicky
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Portugal

Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ?? ( SOLVED

Postby bicky » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:11 am

I have Windows / Mint on Dual boot, but also have a spare empty partition where Ubuntu used to be. Is there any way that I can reinstall UBUNTU from the terminal ??.
As an overall comment I would just like to say that I think the Linux Mint Gloria is " the best thing ever ". I have had Windows, Ubuntu and now Gloria which I cannot fault. Unfortunately I still need Windows for Skype and my networked Lexmark printers. But for the rest NO.
Last edited by bicky on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4595
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:54 am
Location: Right about here

Re: Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ??

Postby Aging Technogeek » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:09 pm

Why use the terminal? If you have the Ubuntu live CD just boot it up and run the installer. Select manual partitioning and put Ubuntu into whatever free space you have on your drive. Grub will set up the three way boot automatically.
Registered Linux User 483387

User avatar
bicky
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ??

Postby bicky » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Aging Technogeek wrote:Why use the terminal? If you have the Ubuntu live CD just boot it up and run the installer. Select manual partitioning and put Ubuntu into whatever free space you have on your drive. Grub will set up the three way boot automatically.

Thanks for this - All done and working - Why didn't I think of this ?

linus
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ?? ( SOLVED

Postby linus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:30 pm

bicky wrote:I have Windows / Mint on Dual boot, but also have a spare empty partition where Ubuntu used to be. Is there any way that I can reinstall UBUNTU from the terminal ??.
As an overall comment I would just like to say that I think the Linux Mint Gloria is " the best thing ever ". I have had Windows, Ubuntu and now Gloria which I cannot fault. Unfortunately I still need Windows for Skype and my networked Lexmark printers. But for the rest NO.


Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with sudo apt-get install skype aka http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/?

User avatar
bicky
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ?? ( SOLVED

Postby bicky » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:16 pm

linus wrote:
bicky wrote:I have Windows / Mint on Dual boot, but also have a spare empty partition where Ubuntu used to be. Is there any way that I can reinstall UBUNTU from the terminal ??.
As an overall comment I would just like to say that I think the Linux Mint Gloria is " the best thing ever ". I have had Windows, Ubuntu and now Gloria which I cannot fault. Unfortunately I still need Windows for Skype and my networked Lexmark printers. But for the rest NO.


Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with sudo apt-get install skype aka http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/?

My problem with Skype on Linux is that I cannot send chat messages, I cannot send SMS messages, and to configure the sound can be a nightmare. I use Skype on Windows as my telephonic backup for my business and Chat, conference ansd SMS are essential tools. The same goes for my printing, my office is fully equipped with Lexmark X5470 multi purpose networked printers. These will not work on Linux distros.

linus
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ?? ( SOLVED

Postby linus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:13 am

bicky wrote:
linus wrote:
bicky wrote:I have Windows / Mint on Dual boot, but also have a spare empty partition where Ubuntu used to be. Is there any way that I can reinstall UBUNTU from the terminal ??.
As an overall comment I would just like to say that I think the Linux Mint Gloria is " the best thing ever ". I have had Windows, Ubuntu and now Gloria which I cannot fault. Unfortunately I still need Windows for Skype and my networked Lexmark printers. But for the rest NO.


Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with sudo apt-get install skype aka http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/?

My problem with Skype on Linux is that I cannot send chat messages, I cannot send SMS messages, and to configure the sound can be a nightmare. I use Skype on Windows as my telephonic backup for my business and Chat, conference ansd SMS are essential tools. The same goes for my printing, my office is fully equipped with Lexmark X5470 multi purpose networked printers. These will not work on Linux distros.


I understand you completely then. I haven't been using skype on *nix much, but just from the looks of the GUI it seems less capable then the windows counterpart (though nicer :) )


Return to “Software & Applications”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Linux.Blue and 13 guests