Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
purpletree
Level 1
Level 1

Kleopatra appears to start but then disappears

Post by purpletree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:16 am

So the problem is that when Kleopatra is started it just disappears. I can see the icon in the system tray for a second, but then it's gone.
I've tried watching it launch from KSysGuard and there's nothing I can distinguish. I've also tried removing it and reinstalling. I've done this twice.
How should I go about trouble shooting this problem?

Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit
KDE Edition
KDE Plasma Version: 5.8.9
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.36.0
Qt Version: 5.6.1

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Kleopatra appears to start but then disappears

Post by richyrich » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:42 am

You can try starting it from the terminal, and report any error messages that pop up in the terminal window . . might help troubleshoot.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi purpletree,

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

+1 Whenever you are having a problem running an application, you can try running its startup command from a console terminal prompt to see if any errors are reported, then highlight the results and copy and paste those results back here. If you do not know the command, right click and select edit or properties, this one is obvious, "kleopatra". If you just installed this, try rebooting first.

You can also install "KGpg" and use that. Have you installed "gnupg2" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"? If not, I recommend doing that as well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

purpletree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by purpletree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:49 pm

When trying to launch kleopatra from the command line nothing at all happens. There's no error messages displayed in the terminal. The Kleopatra icon doesn't even appear then disappear. All that happens is the prompt is returned. Running echo $? returns 0.
Also, I should mention that I've used Kleopatra on this machine before and it worked fine.
And the issue is occurring on two of my Mint machines. A desktop and a laptop. Kleopatra used to work just fine on both.
I've also rebooted both machines. And I've run update && upgrade. And rebooted again. And reinstalled Kleopatra again.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi purpletree,

That's odd.

What happens with "kgpg"?

How did you remove "kleopatra"?

try this, purge "kleopatra" using the console terminal command below

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge kleopatra
then re-install it using the console terminal command below

sudo apt install kleopatra 

sudo apt install -f
The Kleopatra encryption application is working just fine on my Linux Mint KDE 18.3 system. This is what happens when I run it from the console terminal prompt:

kleopatra
chan_17 -> OK GPG UI server (Kleopatra/2.3.0) ready to serve
chan_16 <- OK GPG UI server (Kleopatra/2.3.0) ready to serve
chan_16 -> GETINFO pid
chan_17 <- GETINFO pid
chan_17 -> D 24167
chan_16 <- D 24167
chan_17 -> OK
chan_16 <- OK
chan_16 -> BYE
chan_17 <- BYE
chan_17 -> OK closing connection
ChecksumDefinition[ "sha1sum" ] ("xargs", "-0", "sha1sum", "--")
ChecksumDefinition[ "sha1sum" ] find -print0 |  "/usr/bin/xargs" ("-0", "sha1sum", "--")
ChecksumDefinition[ "sha1sum" ] ("sha1sum", "-c", "--")
ChecksumDefinition[ "sha1sum" ] "/usr/bin/sha1sum" ("-c", "--") "%f" ()
ChecksumDefinition[ "md5sum" ] ("xargs", "-0", "md5sum", "--")
ChecksumDefinition[ "md5sum" ] find -print0 |  "/usr/bin/xargs" ("-0", "md5sum", "--")
ChecksumDefinition[ "md5sum" ] ("md5sum", "-c", "--")
ChecksumDefinition[ "md5sum" ] "/usr/bin/md5sum" ("-c", "--") "%f" ()
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 17 and type 'Read', disabling...
final filter count is 12
Shortcut for action  "focus_to_quickseach" "Set Focus to Quick Search" set with QAction::setShortcut()! Use KActionCollection::setDefaultShortcut(s) instead.
Shortcut for action  "window_new_tab" "New Tab" set with QAction::setShortcut()! Use KActionCollection::setDefaultShortcut(s) instead.
Shortcut for action  "window_rename_tab" "Rename Tab..." set with QAction::setShortcut()! Use KActionCollection::setDefaultShortcut(s) instead.
Shortcut for action  "window_duplicate_tab" "Duplicate Tab" set with QAction::setShortcut()! Use KActionCollection::setDefaultShortcut(s) instead.
Shortcut for action  "window_close_tab" "Close Tab" set with QAction::setShortcut()! Use KActionCollection::setDefaultShortcut(s) instead.
Shortcut for action  "window_move_tab_left" "Move Tab Left" set with QAction::setShortcut()! Use KActionCollection::setDefaultShortcut(s) instead.
Shortcut for action  "window_move_tab_right" "Move Tab Right" set with QAction::setShortcut()! Use KActionCollection::setDefaultShortcut(s) instead.
Shortcut for action  "window_expand_all" "Expand All" set with QAction::setShortcut()! Use KActionCollection::setDefaultShortcut(s) instead.
Shortcut for action  "window_collapse_all" "Collapse All" set with QAction::setShortcut()! Use KActionCollection::setDefaultShortcut(s) instead.
Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

purpletree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by purpletree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks. Now I have a worse problem. I can't log in to my machine. And the login screen is different. I've never had such a thing happen. It's rather scary.
When I try and login I get "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem." It also says "View Details (~/.xsession-errors file)". When I tick the check box it says this:
"initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused mdm[1523]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_key_file_free: assertion 'key_file !=NULL' failed"

I have no idea what to do.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:17 pm

HI purpletree,

Purging and reinstalling Kleopatra would have absolutely no bearing at all on you logging in, neither would installing "kgpg". Whatever is happening with your system is not due to that.

If you are running out of disk space, that would and could cause a lot of problems.

Try turning off the computer for 20seconds, then booting into the Advanced boot menu and then recovery mode, if asked to clean up disk space say yes.

Hope this helps ...

purpletree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by purpletree » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:02 am

So to answer some of the questions...
I uninstalled using the Software Manager.
I've also tried the purge and reinstall exactly as suggested. And I have the same result.
One other thing I tried was to right click on the Kleopatra icon in the menu. It then gives me an error in a pop up box that says:
"No command provided but arguments present." Along the top it says "Failed to exec...nd -- Kleopatra" but I can't expand it. The only option is to click OK.

(The other issue probably deserves a different thread. This Kleopatra issue exits on two machines.)

It appears as if I can use Seahorse although it doesn't show up in a menu I can launch it from the command line and see the certificates.
As for KGpg - it also looks like its working. I installed it and it launches and I can see the certificates.

Return to “Software & Applications”