[SOLVED] set the mirrors with a text file ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pioutw
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] set the mirrors with a text file ?

Post by pioutw » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:42 am

i have a 18.2 kde 64bit on a 15 years old laptop, the GUI is broken and i don't succed to perfom upgrade (problem with the mirrors IRCAM) in tty

the question is: can i change the mirrors in text mode ?
i saw this "/usr/share/mint-mirrors/linuxmint.list" but i think it's not the place to set them
Last edited by pioutw on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
~200 LM+Mate installed (and in use)

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Re: set the mirrors with a text file ?

Post by Sir Charles » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 am

You can set them in theofficial-package-repositories.list in/etc/apt/sources.list.d/
Mine contains (default mirrors):

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com sylvia main upstream import backport 

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ xenial partner
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:51 am

You shouldn't be using apt-get upgrade or, especially, apt-get dist-upgrade, from the terminal in Ubuntu based Mint at all. Mint is based on Ubuntu but it is NOT Ubuntu and doing so will at some point pull in Ubuntu stuff that shouldn't be there. AFAIK sudo apt-get update is OK.

So I fail to see the advantage of doing this.

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:57 pm

upgrade
upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list.
Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary.
The dist-upgrade command may therefore remove some packages.

Fromman apt-get
Even though the usage of upgrade/dist-upgrade would override the level policy for updates set in the Update Manager (unless one has opted for "Always update everything"-option), it doesn't seem that they will be pulling in "Ubuntu stuff that shouldn't be there" as stated in the previous post, if I am reading the manual pages correctly and If my understanding of "under no circumstances are ...packages not already installed retrieved and installed" is correct. In the case of contrary, I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the matter.
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Hello, Marziano.

apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade do not honour the Mint Update Manager level system. This is right.
And this is the only valid reason, why Mint users are recommended to install software updates from the repos via Update Manager only.

apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade will never pull in any Ubuntu software packages, which should not be present on Linux Mint. (Which confirms your understanding of what "man apt-get" tells about "upgrade" and "dist-upgrade".)
The statement that they did can only be made by someone who has not fully understood how apt-get works. :wink:

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Karl,
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it greatly.
Recently, I have caught myself enjoying reading man pages :wink:

Greetings,
Marziano

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:28 am

Hi pioutw,
The content of theofficial-package-repositories.list that I posted above is from LM 18.3 Sylvia. I suppose changing sylvia to sonya should fit it for LM 18.2. You might want to wait for confirmation from other users before you go ahead and make any changes

pioutw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pioutw » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:41 am

thanks Marziano
exaclty what i need

and thank you karichen for your explanations
so is it possible tu upgrade the packages respecting the Mint Update Manager level system in tty ?
~200 LM+Mate installed (and in use)

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 am

pioutw wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:41 am
so is it possible tu upgrade the packages respecting the Mint Update Manager level system in tty ?
I guess you would need to run something like:

Code: Select all

sudo mintupdate-tool -r -s -nk -y --levels 123 upgrade
If you want to update level 1,2 and 3 plus security updates regardless the level and no kernel updates (see below)
~ $ mintupdate-tool -h
usage: mintupdate-tool [-h] [-k | -nk] [-s] [-r] [-d] [-y]
[--install-recommends] [-l LEVELS]
command

positional arguments:
command command to run (possible commands are: list, upgrade)

optional arguments:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-k, --kernel ignore settings and include all kernel updates
-nk, --no-kernel ignore settings and exclude all kernel updates
-s, --security ignore settings and include all security updates
-r, --refresh-cache refresh the APT cache
-d, --dry-run simulation mode, don't upgrade anything
-y, --yes automatically answer yes to all questions
--install-recommends install recommended packages (use with caution)
-l LEVELS, --levels LEVELS ignore settings and restrict to this list of levels
I suppose if you leave out the --level argument (--level 123) , then it will respect the settings already set in the Update Manager. That's how I understand:
-l LEVELS, --levels LEVELS ignore settings and restrict to this list of levels

Return to “Software & Applications”