Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
timbow
Level 1
Level 1

LAMP again, using Ampps <Abandoned>

Post by timbow » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:29 am

http://www.ampps.com/LAMP
It is a stack for Linux which consists of Apache, MySQL and PHP. AMPPS is a LAMP stack which you can install on your Linux. Apache is the web server, MySQL is the database and PHP is server side scripting language. ....
The download for linux has the extension .run . following the instructions on that page to install the lamp stack I get the following;

Code: Select all

timbo@timbo-HP-Pro-3135-Microtower-PC ~ $ cd ~/Downloads
timbo@timbo-HP-Pro-3135-Microtower-PC ~/Downloads $ chmod 0755 Ampps-3.8-x86_64.run 
timbo@timbo-HP-Pro-3135-Microtower-PC ~/Downloads $ ./Ampps-3.8-x86_64.run
Creating directory /usr/local/ampps
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/usr/local/ampps’: Permission denied
Cannot create target directory /usr/local/ampps
You should try option --target OtherDirectory
timbo@timbo-HP-Pro-3135-Microtower-PC ~/Downloads $ 
Is that just a non-starter then? Is there a way to install this thing?

EDIT - elsewhere in the ampps wiki it says you have to use sudo for ubuntu , so sudo ./Ampps-3.8-x86_64.run does the job.
Last edited by timbow on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

timbow
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LAMP again, using Ampps

Post by timbow » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:11 am

When I start ampps I see the ampps panel but it shows only msql running, apache is 'stopped' php is 'stopped' localhost in the browser shows the content at var/www/html and not elswhere like usr/local/ampps/www which looks like it should be the root for the server. I had uninstalled apache through the Software Manager before trying ampps but maybe it didn't remove it?

UPDATE/EDIT
Went back and used these instructions https://askubuntu.com/questions/176964/ ... ng-apache2 to properly remove apache, then repeated the ampps install . No change. ampps still showing no apache and localhost in the browser still showing the Apache2 Ubuntu Default Page at /var/www/html/index.html. I don't understand.

timbow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timbow » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:57 pm

I opened a ticket with the Softaculous support desk. They replied thus:
Hi Tim,
Open Terminal and run following commands:

sudo cd /usr/local/ampps/apache/lib
sudo mkdir bck
sudo mv ./libapr* ./bck/
sudo apt-get -y install libaprutil1 libaprutil1-dev libapr1 libapr1-dev
xhost local:root

If you are still facing the same issue then, run the following and let us know the output:

sudo /usr/local/ampps/apache/bin/httpd

Regards,
AMPPS Support
There is something wrong with the first command, the slashes or the sudo or something IDK but that's just the terminal for you. Get to the right location and the subsequent commands seem to work. I have Apache, PHP and MySql all running!

That should be cause for celebation but I still can't install a CMS in the www folder. I just get a lot of chmod errors and I can chmod in the terminal until the cows come home, it does no good. I don't understand this problem and really need some help . I need to chang the owner of the www folder? or move it to the home folder? or use something called a 'symbolic link' ?? I really don't know. Back to google.

timbow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timbow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 am

Still trying to get this sorted. Ampps has a root /usr/local/ampps/www which shows in the browser as localhost. I think I am right that it is really unusable because it isn't in my Home folder and therefore requires sudo to edit anything. When I try and install my CMS I just get a string of chmod errors.My googling suggested I need to make a folder in Home and link it into the ampps www root folder which I did.

Still cant do anything with it. Still get the string of chmod errors when I try and install my CMS

Code: Select all

Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/local/ampps/www/testsite/data/other/plugins.xml): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/local/ampps/www/testsite/admin/inc/basic.php on line 315

Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/local/ampps/www/testsite/data/other/plugins.xml): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/local/ampps/www/testsite/admin/inc/basic.php on line 315

Warning: chmod(): Operation not permitted in /usr/local/ampps/www/testsite/admin/install.php on line 44

Warning: copy(/usr/local/ampps/www/testsite/data/tmp.tmp): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/local/ampps/www/testsite/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: chmod(): Operation not permitted in /usr/local/ampps/www/testsite/admin/install.php on line 48
..... and so on
So is there some way of fixing this? using chmod doesn't seem to make any difference

PS the CMS I am using is GetSimple. It isn't wordpress but it's been around for years and is well developed and established. I would be suprised if it was a GetSimple problem

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Post by gm10 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:38 am

As a rule of thumb, file manipulations outside of /home are typically to system files, so you need elevated privleges. Basically prefix every command with sudo like they told you.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

timbow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timbow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks. a CMS is a php script or program on a web server that generates html on the fly and serves it up for a web browser when requested. The problem is the CMS itself has to read, write and execute in the appropriate locations. It's an issue of owners, users, groups and permissions that I don't understand. The local web server needs to be set up correctly obv to work properly, so I can create and edit a site but also securely so that my site can be uploaded to a web server with the right file permissions to protect it from online hacking.

timbow
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LAMP again, using Ampps <Abandoned>

Post by timbow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 am

I found some instructions for making a symbolic link so i can work in the Home folder but it didn't help.

this is going nowhere. I have no clue how to proceed.
I have a tip from elsewhere that bitnami lampstack will work.

Return to “Software & Applications”