Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Cinnamon crash - Solved

Post by mhenriday » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:52 pm

After starting my main box, on which I run 64-bit LM 18.3, this morning, I was greeted by what looked like 640 x 480 resolution on my 27" 4K monitor. When I logged in, the following notice was displayed :
Cinnamon crashed. You are running in reserve mode. Do you want to restart Cinnamon ? [My translation from the Swedish, apologies for any infelicities.]
Taking «Yes» led me back to the same starting point, so after trying and failing several times, I finally took «No», which led to the desktop image I had chosen being displayed, but no access to the panel with the main menu and other alternatives.... :(

On this machine I'm running a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 card with the latest - 390.xx - drivers installed (which installation, by the way, was done quite some time ago ; i e, the drivers were not installed recently) ; everything worked swimmingly up to and including last night. Unfortunately, I find myself unable to provide more details as I don't have access to, e g, the terminal. Any suggestions as to how I might be able to address this issue, for example, by re-installing Cinnamon without having to re-install LM from scratch would be greatly appreciated as, alas, I'm a tad behind on my backups.... :oops:

Many thanks in advance !

Henri
Last edited by mhenriday on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon crash

Post by Kilz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:45 pm

IIt would appear there is a problem with the driver, its possible it was updated. Try switching to another version, say 340 and see if the problem persists. See if you can starat terminal with alt + F2 and type in x-terminal-emulator. Then type sudo driver-manager into the terminal.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered

mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon crash - Solved

Post by mhenriday » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Kilz wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:45 pm
IIt would appear there is a problem with the driver, its possible it was updated. Try switching to another version, say 340 and see if the problem persists. See if you can starat terminal with alt + F2 and type in x-terminal-emulator. Then type sudo driver-manager into the terminal.
The Nvidia driver had indeed been updated without my knowledge - how that happened I fail to understand - to 396.24.02. Following your instructions, I used the driver manager to try to walk it back to 390.59, which I had installed previously, but when I rebooted, no joy : the Cinnamon crash notice was once again displayed. I then tried in succession loading the 384.130, 340.106, and 304.137 drivers, with in every case the same discouraging result. As a last desperate measure, I then loaded the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, version 1:1.0.12-build2 driver and lo and behold ! upon rebooting the computer, Cinnamon worked ! I couldn't believe my eyes, but I did find the presence of mind to immediately connect an external HDD to my computer and back up my files....

I'm delirious with joy that I was able to access my files and back them up, but I wonder if I dare attempt to reinstall the Nvidia drivers. My experience is that the Xorg driver often fails, displaying a pixilated image which requires rebooting. I'm struck with indecision - shall I give it a whirl or shall I play it safe - time ... for a hundred visions and revisions, before the taking of a toast and tea....

In any event, Kilz, my most heartfelt thanks !... :D

Henri

Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Your welcome, glad to help where I can. The reason I thought of the 390 driver is because I have a 560 ti, same generation as the 660 I believe, it has issues with the 390 driver. It will work for a time but always messes up, most of the time when I cant afford to mess with it. Before retrying the drivers make sure to clean the apt cache with sudo apt-get clean. This will force the computer to download fresh files in case there was a corrupted download.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:46 pm

I know this is marked as "solved", but there still seems to be some indecision about whether or not to try Nvidia drivers, so, FWIW:

1. if you reinstall the Nvidia driver and it breaks your system, if all else fails, you should be able to restore it with a TimeShift snapshot.

2. I have a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti and I'm using the 384.130 driver. I had a lot of problems with Cinnamon crashing (ususally at login) with the recommended Nvidia drivers until I started using "nomodeset" at boot-up. If you are not familiar with that, there is a description of how to use it here:
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php
(scroll down to "Solving freezes during the boot sequence")

That release note states that after the Nvidia driver is installed, you shouldn't need to use "nomodeset". That's not true in my case - I have to use it every time, so I made it "sticky" -
(modify /etc/default/grub to add nomodeset to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and then run "sudo update-grub").
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mhenriday » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:47 am

slipstick wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:46 pm
I know this is marked as "solved", but there still seems to be some indecision about whether or not to try Nvidia drivers, so, FWIW:

1. if you reinstall the Nvidia driver and it breaks your system, if all else fails, you should be able to restore it with a TimeShift snapshot.
Thanks for your kind reply, slipstick, despite the issue being marked (perhaps prematurely) as «Solved» ! After the Cinnamon crash, my problem was that only my desktop (without the panel) was displayed in reserve mode ; thus I was unable to access and launch any programmes to attempt to deal with the problem. By following Kliz's instructions, I found myself able to launch a terminal emulator and thence open the driver manager. I've now created a current TimeShift snapshot to which, hopefully, I could return in the event of a new crash. But how, in that case, can I access my TimeShift snapshot _ exactly what is the procedure I'd need to follow ?...
2. I have a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti and I'm using the 384.130 driver. I had a lot of problems with Cinnamon crashing (ususally at login) with the recommended Nvidia drivers until I started using "nomodeset" at boot-up. If you are not familiar with that, there is a description of how to use it here:
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php
(scroll down to "Solving freezes during the boot sequence")

That release note states that after the Nvidia driver is installed, you shouldn't need to use "nomodeset". That's not true in my case - I have to use it every time, so I made it "sticky" -
(modify /etc/default/grub to add nomodeset to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and then run "sudo update-grub").
Odd that the release note states that
Some graphics cards don't work well with the open-source driver present in Linux Mint
and, as you point out, that
With these [Nvidia] drivers the system should now be stable and you no longer need to use "nomodeset".
while it seems to have been an (unauthorised by me) update from the Nvidia 390.59 driver 396.24.02 version which triggered the crash. In any event, I've not encountered this particular problem previously....

But more generally, my question is the following : despite my earlier problems, i e, sudden pixelation, necessitating a reboot, just now Cinnamon on my machine - an old home build with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor running an amd64-microcode version 2.20160316.1 driver - works fine with the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, version 1:1.0.12-build2 driver ; no difficulties when booting or running Mint 18.3. Is there any reason to assume that the machine's performance would be enhanced if I switched from the Xorg driver to Nvidia's propietary driver ? Or should I just leave well enough alone ?...

Many thanks, once again, to you and to Kilz for your replies !...

Henri

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:32 pm

mhenriday wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:47 am
I've now created a current TimeShift snapshot to which, hopefully, I could return in the event of a new crash. But how, in that case, can I access my TimeShift snapshot _ exactly what is the procedure I'd need to follow ?...
Just boot up on your live version of LM18.3 and launch Timeshift, which should be already available on the live version. You may need to go into the "Settings" menu to select the location of the snapshots on your hard drive or external drive, then select a snapshot to restore and click "Restore" and follow the instructions from that point.
mhenriday wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:47 am
But more generally, my question is the following : despite my earlier problems, i e, sudden pixelation, necessitating a reboot, just now Cinnamon on my machine - an old home build with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor running an amd64-microcode version 2.20160316.1 driver - works fine with the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, version 1:1.0.12-build2 driver ; no difficulties when booting or running Mint 18.3. Is there any reason to assume that the machine's performance would be enhanced if I switched from the Xorg driver to Nvidia's propietary driver ? Or should I just leave well enough alone ?...
I expect you might notice a performance difference when doing intensive graphics (game playing, image processing, etc.), but if you don't do much of that and you are satisfied with the way your computer is working, you could certainly leave well enough alone.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Return to “Software & Applications”