Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Captain Brillo
Level 2
Level 2

Which System Files to backup?

Post by Captain Brillo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Experimenting with scheduling backups again.

For me, Timeshift is out-of-the-question. I have tried it multiple times, on 2 machines, and it's completely unusable - with the default configuration it starts up and doesn't stop. Just today, my last attempt, it filled up a 1 TB drive in about 2 hours. 2 different boxes, both go crazy.
So what is it that I'm doing wrong?
If I can't get it to run on this box, Mint 19 will nag me to death. I have it on a VB, and it won't shut up about Timeshift and Snapshots.

And while I try to work that out, which directories in the file system are the essential ones to back up? Or maybe, which ones to ignore?
:? :?

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Which System Files to backup?

Post by slipstick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:28 pm

It sounds like you may be backing up all of your /home and personal data, instead of just your system files. Open TS, click "Settings", then "Users" and make sure that you don't have the "Include All" box ticked. You can choose whether or not to include the hidden (configuration) files. On my system, I include those hidden files and a dozen snapshots only uses 17.5 GB - about 9 GB for the first snapshot and an average of about 770 MB each for the others.

You can also look at the "Filters" -> "Summary" to see the list of excluded files (listed files here are excluded, unless they have a + mark at the left side).
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Captain Brillo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Which System Files to backup?

Post by Captain Brillo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Thanks heaps.
Given the claim that Timeshift does NOT back up user files, I wasn't understanding that tab. Have done as you suggest and will see what happens this time.
So much confusion from bad wording, everywhere... :(

Return to “Software & Applications”