clean-up of workstation fonts Mint 18.xx

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

clean-up of workstation fonts Mint 18.xx

Post by SaintDanBert »

How do I remove fonts that I don't want or need without causing trouble for apps or utils that rely on some font that I'm not aware of?

My primary font need is U.S., British, and Austrailian English. I also use fonts for French in Canada, France and Belgium. I have occasional need for fonts for South American Spanish. I also have need for fonts that support Russian but that is extremely rare. (I'm probably using "font" when "character set" might be more correct, so please bear with me.) In short, I need to support Western Europe. I have zero need for any Oriental, India, or Indonesia fonts.

I use LibreOffice, Scribus, and Sigil for documents and I share these with folks who use Windows(tm), Mac(tm), and Linux(tm) workstations. Folks also use iOS(tm) and Android(tm) smart devices. Some of these have limited ability to work around "missing" or eccentric fonts.

There are a boat load of font files on my laptop that I want to remove and banish forever. I also want to remove and banish fonts that appear (to my eyes) as clones of other fonts. How many Arial-look-alike fonts does on really need?

Please help! My laptop has limited space and I'd really like to make it more effective for routine use by font cleanup.

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: clean-up of workstation fonts Mint 18.xx

Post by Flemur »

SaintDanBert wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:23 pmHow do I remove fonts that I don't want or need without causing trouble for apps or utils that rely on some font that I'm not aware of?

My primary font need is U.S., British, and Austrailian English. I also use fonts for French in Canada, France and Belgium. I have occasional need for fonts for South American Spanish. I also have need for fonts that support Russian but that is extremely rare.

(I'm probably using "font" when "character set" might be more correct, so please bear with me.) In short, I need to support Western Europe. I have zero need for any Oriental, India, or Indonesia fonts.
There are some posts and script(s) floating around the forum about deleting all those fonts, esp India, etc.

FWIW, I have a pretty minimal font setup:

Code: Select all

ls /usr/share/fonts/truetype
dejavu  liberation  mscore  ttf-bitstream-vera  ubuntu-font-family
and can see Russian charcters and special characters in Spanish (in firefox, at least) - I think they get covered by either "deja-vu" or "ubuntu" (which are each the size of "mscore" = about 8 fonts);
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Re: clean-up of workstation fonts Mint 18.xx

Post by SaintDanBert »

Flemur wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:10 pm There are some posts and script(s) floating around the forum about deleting all those fonts, esp India, etc.
FWIW, I have a pretty minimal font setup:

Code: Select all

ls /usr/share/fonts/truetype
dejavu  liberation  mscore  ttf-bitstream-vera  ubuntu-font-family
and can see Russian charcters and special characters in Spanish (in firefox, at least) - I think they get covered by either "deja-vu" or "ubuntu" (which are each the size of "mscore" = about 8 fonts);
Thanks for this... I'll start looking for "font scripts" and similar.
I would appreciate a web link to anything that someone discovers while I'm looking.

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan

Return to “Software & Applications”