Trouble installing Shotcut

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yogyog

Trouble installing Shotcut

Post by yogyog »

Hi...

I think Shotcut is a very promising video editor - Stable video editors are thin on the ground on Linux, the best that I could find being the one in Blender, which is powerful, but has Blender's idiosyncratic interface, and is hidden. I even put together a tutorial series explaining editing in Blender for non-blender users entitled Open Source Video Editing to try to solve this problem.

I was pleased when Shotcut turned up

Except

I can't seem to install it on Linux Mint!

I really can't recommend this as an easy to use open source video editor if it's so hard to install - which is a real shame.

None of the installers on the website seem to work, nor to the instructions on installing in via command line nor does this page: https://www.linuxhelp.com/how-to-instal ... int-18-03/

Can anyone recommend a way of installing it that works?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Trouble installing Shotcut

Post by rene »

Shotcut is available as a flatpak directly through Software Manager. I.e., Administration -> Software Manager, type shotcut in the search box, click, install, launch. Just tried on 18.3 Cinnamon and works fine.
yogyog

Post by yogyog »

Ahh - I'm on 17.3 ... Maybe an update is what will fix it. I'll do some more research.

Thanks.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

17.3 lacks support for Flatpak (and Snappy, which I saw was also offered) but the applications seems a prime candidate for Flatpak/Snappy, it being a KDE application. That is, dependent on many specific libraries and versions thereof, which are not by default installed on non-KDE editions of Mint... and starting with Mint 19 there isn't even going be a Mint KDE edition.

Certainly you could install Flatpak and/or Snappy manually on 17, or muddle through manual dependency resolution, but I'd advise to only suggest the application to Mint 18/19 users, and even then as a flatpak.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You could try dl'ing the appimage from here:

https://shotcut.org/download/

Then just make it executable and make a symlink to the desktop. Open it from there.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”