[SOLVED running VirtualBox] 3D in Linux Mint 18.3 (Autodesk Inventor)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED running VirtualBox] 3D in Linux Mint 18.3 (Autodesk Inventor)

Post by Chriske »

Hi,
At this moment I installed VB / W7 / Inventor2008.
It does run without any problem,and very fast (16Gb RAM)
I run that 3D software a very long time now, and drew LOTS of parts/projects with it.
Is there Linux related 3D-software that can import ipt or stp files so I can use these (literal) thousands of files directly in Linux 3D related software itself.

Thanks..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 3D in Linux Mint 18.3 (Autodesk Inventor)

Post by Chriske »

Do I understand this correctly. I read that installing Windows-software can be done directly in Linux using Wine...? If so why do I bother to install VirtualBox...???
https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Wine-on-Linux
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

SOME software will work in Wine, not all of it! I had to use Play On Linux to convince SketchUP to play nicely. I've not had much experience with other, similar, native Linux packages so cannot offer any viable alternatives.

There are some good packages, Blender is one, FreeCAD is one that I've played with, I'm unsure if either will work as you want, they look to be worth the effort to learn how to drive them. Both have a fairly steep learning curve, though.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Wine is actually a dumb hack that fails on most WIndows apps. The whole concept of it makes no sense. Playonlinux is just a different GUI for WIne. POL is better because it juggles WIne versions for you but it won't fix an app that doesn't work. If you want to see if it has a chance search "linux wine <app name.", which in this case gets this:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=5719

And clearly autodesk doesn't work. Anything not rated gold or better won't.

There's your reason for using Windows in a VM or dual boot. I haven't actually had any WIndows installed for years now, but I don't need it. I have no hesitation recommending Windows to Linux users for some things, esp. for business use.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”