[SOLVED] Wine software-icons storing in startmenu (Mint 18.3)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Wine software-icons storing in startmenu (Mint 18.3)

Post by Chriske »

Hi,
Is it possible to store Icons, when installing Win-software, in the start menu.
There are lost of these little Win-things(mostly astronomical tools) I'd like to install and I do not like all these icons all over my screen. I'd rather like these icons stored side by side in one menu.

Thanks a lot in advance..
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: WIne software-icons storing in startmenu (Mint 18.3)

Post by Flemur »

Edit: you should tell your desktop - Xfce, Mate, Cinn..., maybe even the whole "inxi -Fxz" thing.
Chriske wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:37 amIs it possible to store Icons, when installing Win-software, in the start menu.
There are lost of these little Win-things(mostly astronomical tools) I'd like to install and I do not like all these icons all over my screen. I'd rather like these icons stored side by side in one menu.
I think wine does that automagically, though I don't use normal menus, so not quite sure. Have you installed programs and looked for menu entries under "wine"?

There is
"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r"
which I turned off (renamed the .exe file!) because it kept making spurious .desktop files and ("open with") file associations:

If you have wine installed, check for

Code: Select all

find $HOME -iname "*wine*desktop" 
(probably in ~/.local/share/applications/...)
I think just running wine the first time with nothing extra installed will created .desktop files for "internet exploder" and notepad...?

If you're getting menu entries you expected from the windows programs you installed, check for .desktop files to add to your menu.
(I use a simpler way of adding wine programs to fluxbox menus & key-shortcuts because fluxbox is easier to customize).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Playing a bit with 'MenuLibre' in Mint 18.3.
Trying to make extra menu's and shortcuts in the startup-menu.

I can add a new item in the main startup-menu but there's no way I can edit it.
Has someone used MenuLibre an does it actually work or do I need to download a newer version. The version in Mint18.3 is MenuLibre 2.1.3-0
In the reviews there's one user saying that it does not work in Mint17.3 and also erases settings.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Forgot to mention that I also need MenuLibre to make extra Menu/icons for Mint tools and software also, so not just Wine related software.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

'Alacarte' does the job in Mint 18.3.

Return to “Software & Applications”