Nemo very slow to open

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mxminty1
Level 1
Level 1

Nemo very slow to open

Post by mxminty1 »

The issue has been happening for months, but it is sporadic. Usually things work fine but sometimes clicking the Nemo icon does not open the file browser until about 5 minutes later. While waiting I tried launching from terminal and got a "Could not register nemo as a remote: Timeout was reached" error. Once Nemo gets running opening new windows is fine. Sometimes it happens early on in a session, sometimes after everything is up and running for awhile. If I don't want to wait I need a full reboot to get a working file manager. Recommendations on how to troubleshoot this?

Running Mint 18.3 64-bit on 4.4 kernel. Also using a PPA (obaif) for optimized radeon drivers but have not encountred problems with any other application being so slow to launch.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Nemo very slow to open

Post by all41 »

When this happens look at your System Monitor/Processes to see what is running and what is using
the most cpu. You could also open a terminal and enter top

Do you have an external hard drive connected when this happens?

When it hangs try log-out by Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and log back in to see if it hangs
again on a fresh login. You can also terminate the hanging process by terminal killall nemo

If you suspect problems with a ppa go to Software Sources/PPA and temporarily disable them.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

> Nemo hangs

If starting a console times-out during this period, try a virtual terminal, ctrl-alt-f1, login, then to get back to your graphical session, ctrl-alt-f7.

Check log: tail -n20 -f /var/log/syslog - watch for awhile (ctrl-c to exit)

I agree on using top or htop. htop is a little easier to use. It uses colors & there is a help menu at the bottom. In KDE, I can also hit ctrl-esc and a gui system activity monitor runs. Or issue the command to see the top 5 by %cpu: ps axu --sort=-%cpu |head -n5.

I would also do the killall nemo rather than rebooting. I suspect it's a hard boot too, which increases the chances of file system errors.

Last time KDE's Dolphin hanged, my drive was failing. The system log showed the errors & smartctl confirmed.

BUT take a look at - System-hang when browsing unconnected network share, or a more general search under Issues - https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issue ... Aopen+hang.

Doing a google site search for nemo hangs - Nemo hangs when Windows 7 PC share goes away [SOLVED]
mxminty1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mxminty1 »

Thanks for the tips. I will try them out next time I see the problem. Of course past few days things are back to running great.
mxminty1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mxminty1 »

Issue showed up again so I followed some of the listed suggestions.

Running top showed cinnamon being the major cpu user but only a few %. However I did see a [mount.ntfs] command pop up on the list once in awhile then drop away. Opened another terminal and ran killall nemo, then tried running nemo from the command line. Nothing, and the [mount.ntfs] still popping up under top. I ran pstree to see where this command was coming from, and it showed up right under systemd as 2*[mount.ntfs]. That makes sense as I have a second hdd with two ntfs partitions. Nemo eventually opened and the [mount.ntfs] stopped showing up in top.

I will try running smartctl on the disk to see if there are any errors. The other options might be to not auto-mount the NTFS partitions.
Batson

Post by Batson »

I'm posting here because the thread mentions the Obaif PPA.

This PPA is constantly updating with new "Gallium" drivers...
confused? This is ancient history. Why are there no drivers for the newest Radeon GPU's?

Is anyone up to speed on this?

Return to “Software & Applications”