Cannot adjust font size in KMail

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phil_n

Cannot adjust font size in KMail

Post by phil_n »

I have installed KMail on LM 18.3, Cinnamon 3.6.6.

Adjusting fonts in the e-mail text works and also in the folders list.

My problem is that I can not adjust the font size in the message list pane. Nor can I adjust the font size in the menu bar.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and have a solution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cannot adjust font size in KMail

Post by Hoser Rob »

The issue here is that kmail is a KDE app, and KDE is built with Qt libraries, unlike Cinnamon which uses GTK. So you get issues having consistent theming and fonts. I use Mint KDE on my laptop but it's less of an issue using Qt apps in KDE than vice versa. I've always used mostly GTK apps in KDE and the theming is often different but it's not an issue for me if it works.

I don't know of any simple ways to make them consistent, and I'm not sure if it's worth the effort if everything is functional.
Here's the best guide I can find, but it's for Arch Linux, which is NOT ubuntu based ... the Arch wikis are an excellent resource but need more interpretation than most Linux beginners can muster ... don't go blindly copying and pasting ...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un ... plications
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi phil_n,

For most KDE applications to run well on Linux Mint "Cinnamon", "Mate", or "Xfce" editions, you only need to install "kde-runtime". But, for some other integrated KDE applications like the excellent "Kmail" or "Kalarm", you would need to install "kde-runtime", "kdepim", "Kleopatra", "kio-extras", from the "Synaptic Package Manager SPM", and restart and see if that helps.

You can use the console terminal command below to install these at one time.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install kde-runtime kdepim  kleopatra kio-extras
You can customize almost anything KDE related, if you know how. For Kmail, see screenshots below.
1.) If you click Settings -> Configure Kmail -> Appearance (on left), Font tab, check customization, choose what to customize apply to like "Message List", select font characteristics, apply, okay. In my example I chose the Arial Bold font size 9.

2.) If you want to get even more fancy, color your emails by whatever you want subject, sender, receiver, content, etc... In the example screenshots, I want my email notifications regarding my posts and replies from Linux Mint to be highlighted in color from the Linux Mint forums (admin@linumint.com),

-- Create Email Tag: in the Settings -> Configure Kmail -> Appearance -> Tag tab, create a tag "Linux Mint" (apply/ok), OR right click an email message, select "Mark Message" Add Tag

-- Create Email Filter: click Settings and "Configure Filters" to create a new filter using that Tag, OR right click an email message, select "Create Filter" and follow prompts and use the tag you just created. It may take a little practice, but once you have done it, it becomes easier.

This is great for highlighting important emails from business, family, friends, etc...

Kmail instructions on how to recover Headers - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=258626&hilit=kmail

See this post too
Can't get an image preview at file manager - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=268018&hilit=dolphin

phd21 wrote:* This is usually not necessary, but If you also want the most up to date KDE packages, install the "Kubuntu backports" ppa, then update your system.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

sudo apt-get update
Phil (phd21)

Hope this helps ...
These pictures are from Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 with Kmail installed. Instructions work for all Kmail on any Linux Mint edition. Click image to see larger images and click again to shrink or enlarge them.
Cinnamon183_Kmail_Appearance_Fonts1.jpg
Cinnamon183_Kmail_Appearance_Tags1.jpg
Cinnamon183_Kmail_Appearance_Filters1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phil_n

Post by phil_n »

Hi Phil/phd21,

Thank you so much for your exhaustive and thorough explanation. Maybe I forgot to install kde-runtime and kio-extras.

B rgds /Phil
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Phil,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phil_n

Post by phil_n »

One more question. Now I have managed to get a nice font size in all panes (also in Dolphin). However the fonts in, e.g. Dolphin drop down menus and the Places menu are very small. How can I adjust those to be bigger? It does not seem possible to do it inside the Dolphin application.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi phil_n,

You can control font sizes for practically anything else in KDE using the System Settings - Fonts. You may have to exit dolphin and restart it for some changes... Not all fonts will work with all options, so you may have to experiment a little.

Hope this helps ...
kde_font_general1.jpg
kde_font_window_title1.jpg
Dolphin-Custom_font_and-Color.jpg

Return to “Software & Applications”