Wine <--> CrossOver ...?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Wine <--> CrossOver ...?

Post by Chriske »

Reading a bit on the net about CrossOver, it is far better than Wine, just installed Wine version 3.0.
Someone already used CrossOver and could confirm this..? I would use it in Mint18.3
Maybe there are some more software tools to open Win-software in Mint..?

My problem is that I need to open lots of very small astronomy related tools. I've already tried some, but most of them do not work at all under Wine.

Thanks
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Wine <--> CrossOver ...?

Post by xenopeek »

CrossOver is based on Wine with added configuration tool and automated installation scripts for specific games and programs. You can search for the programs you use here to see if any of them have automated installation scripts on CrossOver: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility. I very much doubt any astronomy programs will be on that list.

You can compare features of CrossOver and Wine here: https://www.codeweavers.com/products/mo ... rentiators. I don't think CrossOver will help you a lot unless you're using software that they provide automated installation scripts for. They have a free trial so perhaps try that. But again, I think whether you use Wine or CrossOver, you'll face the same challenges in getting astronomy software to work. A virtual machine running Windows may be an easier solution.

There was a topic about whether CrossOver was worth it last year. It was about gaming but have a read here: viewtopic.php?t=248250
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

As a matter of fact I do run VirtualBox and W7. I use it to run 3D-CAD software(only supported by Windows)
But now that I made the switch from Win to Linux on all my PC's, I'd prefer to run as much software as possible in Linux Mint environment.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Chriske wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:02 pmAs a matter of fact I do run VirtualBox and W7. I use it to run 3D-CAD software(only supported by Windows)
I ran virtualbox until photoshop started working properly in wine; one trick is to save the vbox state (="virtual machine"?) with your program(s) still running, then restart it w/that state passed:

Code: Select all

virtualbox --startvm  vbox_win7 &
(vbox_win7 was 6GB or so..?)
It took less time to start than starting photoshop on windows, and it doesn't have to "boot" windows, either (more like a restart from hibernate).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Saving VB state = a VERY good trick, takes about 6 seconds to boot W7 + 3DCAD software 4sec to shut down..!. THANKS...! :P

Return to “Software & Applications”