mintupdate software sources doesnt work after update 18.2 -> 18.3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

mintupdate software sources doesnt work after update 18.2 -> 18.3

Post by eiver »

Hi all,

I have the following issue. After upgrading from Mint Mate 18.2 to 18.3, if I click mintupdate->Edit->Software Sources, the window doesn't show up. Instead I see the following in auth.log:

Code: Select all

Jun 21 18:21:03 eiverserver pkexec[1607]: superadmin: Error executing command as another user: Not authorized [USER=root] [TTY=unknown] [CWD=/home/superadmin] [COMMAND=/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py]
Everything else works ok. I can click "Install Updates" and I do get the root password prompt. What is weird, I have another machine, where I installed Mint 18.3 from scratch and it doesn't have that issue.

I did check the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list and it looks the same on both machines.
I did find a number of other threads (some of them are 3+ years old), but none of them helped me.

I don't know, if it is relevant, but I also noticed that all my Favorites in mintmenu are gone.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: mintupdate software sources doesnt work after update 18.2 -> 18.3

Post by Flemur »

eiver wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:33 pm

Jun 21 18:21:03 eiverserver pkexec[1607]: superadmin: Error executing command as another user: Not authorized [USER=root] [TTY=unknown] [CWD=/home/superadmin] [COMMAND=/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py]
pkexec is an example of the convoluted stuff from freedesktop.org that'll come with Mint 19 to replace the things that already work perfectly well, namely:

gksudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py
Is your username "superadmin"?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Yes it is :D.

I reduced the problem to a single command:

~ $ software-sources
(Notice no sudo here). On the machine with LM 18.3 installed from scratch, this command creates a popup window asking for credentials.

However on the machine LM 18.3, which was upgraded from 18.2, I get this:

~ $ software-sources 
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.
How can I fix that?
MmUser

Post by MmUser »

Problem was fixed with the update yesterday.

Return to “Software & Applications”