removing older unused versions of mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ra1madden

removing older unused versions of mint

Post by ra1madden »

What is the easiest and best way to remove older and unused versions of Ubuntu Mint?
I would like to upgrade to the latest, I have lost the use of a drive because the new version overloaded the disk space and I have not been able to get my old data back.
Therefore I have not upgraded for a while to keep from having the same issue again.
Would also like a way get old data back from other drive.
Thank you for an help you can offer.
Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: removing older unused versions of mint

Post by Tomgin5 »

I am not 100% certain about resurrecting and moving the "Home" portion to an updated version, BUT!! If you can get the old drive to boot ( even if you use an external drive adapter) try writing and executing this command set:

Code: Select all

Code: sudo apt-get install byobu

Followed by:

Code:  sudo purge-old-kernels

This will fix the code overflow in the older LM installs and possible the ubuntu mint.
Saving the home to move it to a later version instructions are available several places here.
Hope it helps.

Still resurrecting bricked machines over 225 in the last 32 years.
:mrgreen:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: removing older unused versions of mint

Post by JerryF »

ra1madden wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:32 am What is the easiest and best way to remove older and unused versions of Ubuntu Mint?
I would like to upgrade to the latest, I have lost the use of a drive because the new version overloaded the disk space and I have not been able to get my old data back.
Therefore I have not upgraded for a while to keep from having the same issue again.
Would also like a way get old data back from other drive.
Thank you for an help you can offer.
Rich
Just an FYI, Mint is Linux Mint, not Ubuntu Mint. Mint and Ubuntu are versions of Linux.

Sometime the easiest way isn't the best way, but let's start here.

Which version of Mint do you have now and what do you want to upgrade to?

Return to “Software & Applications”