dconf-editor different in LM18.3 vs LM19 [Solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmuserx4849

dconf-editor different in LM18.3 vs LM19 [Solved]

Post by lmuserx4849 »

dconf-editor use to have a panel at the bottom that displayed the value of the property and a little help. It was nice when the description was on the same page because a user could quickly scroll down the list and read.

Now the user has to double click the option and a new panel is displayed, go back, double click on the next key, etc.

I didn't see any option to configure the dconf-editor. The LM18.3 version is much more efficient and user-friendly. Am I just missing a setting some place?

Please see attached image.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: dconf-editor different in LM18.3 vs LM19

Post by xenopeek »

Unfortunately there is no option to change that behavior.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Yep, the new layout sucks, it was changed in v3.22 (Mint 19 comes with v3.28) and the old layout won't be coming back.

You can however go back to the version you're used to. Uninstall the current version, then select the release version for your processor architecture from here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+pa ... onf-editor and download the .deb from the link on the right. Click on the downloaded file to install, ignore the warning.

PS: Also make sure you're not getting the old version replaced by the current one again by update manager, you can right click and ignore it.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

The tree-view was awesome. It clearly showed the paths, allowed for quick transition from one to another, allowed for easy drill down with little eyeball movement, to be treated with a nice list of properties with the details right there. I suppose this was a gtk3 rewrite. Argh. Well, it isn't something you use a lot.

Thanks for the info.
gm10

Re: dconf-editor different in LM18.3 vs LM19 [Solved]

Post by gm10 »

It was actually an intentional change, the developer believes the new layout is less prone to user error than the old one (no way to accidentally jump to a different location in the tree). I see his point although I disagree with it, but as long as the older version still works fine it's all good.

Return to “Software & Applications”