[Solved] Update Manager - Close When Complete gone?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [Solved] Update Manager - Close When Complete gone?

Post by gm10 »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:20 am
I am talking about the Synaptic popup - I used "kernel window" because you used it in the post I quoted and I thought that was what you were referring to. Sorry for adding to the confusion.
Hmm, it is a little confusing now but I'm not sure who's to blame (if anyone). To recapitulate:
  • The "Hide Update Manager" option is about automatically hiding the main Update Manager window (back to system tray) after the Synaptic popup closes.
  • The new "Close installation/removal popup" option is about automatically closing said Synaptic popup, i.e. what was requested in this thread to be optional.
My comment about the Hide option and kernel operations was that even with the Hide option checked, the main Update Manager window would not get automatically hidden after the Synaptic popup from said kernel operation closed. I was thinking it might be more consistent to have the option affect both regular update installations as well as kernel installations/removals.
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

gm10 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:42 am
My comment about the Hide option and kernel operations was that even with the Hide option checked, the main Update Manager window would not get automatically hidden after the Synaptic popup from said kernel operation closed.
This makes sense, and I like that approach. However....
I was thinking it might be more consistent to have the option affect both regular update installations as well as kernel installations/removals.
This also makes since, and I also like this approach.

Honestly, I think this is addressing details that are, for the most part, insignificant. Kernel updates are not frequent enough that I will manage with whichever approach you decide to take. I think there are better things you can do with your time than doing work that is best left to B-Ark Committee.

Again, I am grateful the work you do on the PPA and I appreciate the attention you give to the people who use it.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:22 pm
I think there are better things you can do with your time than doing work that is best left to B-Ark Committee.
Probably, but I had already changed it to work the consistent way before we were even discussing it. I'm sure there are better things I could do with my time than maintain the PPA at all but it's fun so I'm not comparing ROI. ;)
BenTrabetere wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:22 pm
Again, I am grateful the work you do on the PPA and I appreciate the attention you give to the people who use it.
You are welcome, and I truly appreciate all types of feedback, it's always very interesting to me. While as a creator you have to have some sort of arrogance to believe that your way of doing things is the correct one, that does not mean that you cannot reflect on other points of view and potentially learn from them. :)
LMDE2Fan1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LMDE2Fan1 »

gm10 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:30 am
BG405 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:23 pm
LMDE2Fan1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 pm
Next release of my fork of Update Manager will have the second option here:

Question to both of you, however: Would you expect the first option to work independently of the second one, i.e. to override it? Or would you expect them to work such that the first option would hide the Update Manager window automatically only after the installation popup window has been hidden? I'm a little unsure right now so I thought I'd just ask since it's your workflow more than mine. I will, of course, adjust the wording of the options depending on the way I end up going with to make this clear to the user.

Also I noticed that the "Hide" option does not apply to kernel installations, should probably be applied to that as well.
@gm10 In the python code of mintUpdate.py, just check if the user has opted in to "automatic updates" and if so, just let the update window close as it does now. Otherwise, leave it open with both the close button and the checkbox for "always close" always visible so the user can always have the option in plain sight. I believe the checkbox setting for "always close" is/was the same setting that belongs to Synaptic Package Manager to "close when installation is complete". Again, this setting would be ignored if "automatic updates" is selected in the Update Manager.

This would achieve the apparent desire for "Automatic Updates" to just work in the background without interrupting the user. I suspect this was intended for less technical user. However, developers, etc. tend to keep track of updates to many different items like Samba, kernels, and other system related services/technical details that relate to their jobs, or interests, because upstream changes and regressions have often broken system components like drive mounts, networking, mouse accuracy, monitor support and management, etc. in the recent and not so recent past.

Benefits of this solution are:
Automatic Updates occur without interrupting the user.
Fewer configurable options to maintain.
Re-use of existing configuration options that reflect the users preferences.
Reduction of code, keeps code simpler which promotes reliability and reduces brittleness, avoids possible technical debt.

If you'd like me to put this into a feature request on Github, just let me know.

Thanks,
Roger
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

LMDE2Fan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:01 pm
Automatic Updates occur without interrupting the user.
[...]
If you'd like me to put this into a feature request on Github, just let me know.
You seem to be talking about Mint's Update Manager, yet quote a discussion that was at that point about my own and very different software that's available from my PPA (see my sig). If you want to suggest changes to Mint's own Update Manager you would indeed have to do that at their GitHub.

That aside, you may want to work on your pitch, for automatic updates are a background service without any GUI output, you enable those if you do not want to interact with the GUI (or even run it), so conditioning a UI feature on that setting is a rather absurd idea to my ears (and you may just have been misunderstanding the feature yourself it seems). But again, I'm not the one to talk to about Mint's official Update Manager.

Return to “Software & Applications”