Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SamLearnsLinux
Level 3
Level 3

Please suggest me simple and easy local Wordpress development platform

Post by SamLearnsLinux » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:26 am

Hi. I wanted to know the easiest way to set up Wordpress on Linux Mint for local development. My primary use with Wordpress is to create small websites for myself, I am not a developer or designer who deals with clients or big sites. So I prefer things to be simple. In addition to LAMP and XAMPP, I have been hearing a lot about new platforms like Docker, Vagrant, Local by Flywheel, Laravel Valet/Homestead etc and want to know whats the simplest and easiest one out of these to set up Wordpress. If you guys have preferences for any particular one, please state that too. Thank you

lmuserx4849

Re: Please suggest me simple and easy local Wordpress development platform

Post by lmuserx4849 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:27 am

SamLearnsLinux wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:26 am
Hi. I wanted to know the easiest way to set up Wordpress on Linux Mint for local development. My primary use with Wordpress is to create small websites for myself, I am not a developer or designer who deals with clients or big sites. So I prefer things to be simple. In addition to LAMP and XAMPP, I have been hearing a lot about new platforms like Docker, Vagrant, Local by Flywheel, Laravel Valet/Homestead etc and want to know whats the simplest and easiest one out of these to set up Wordpress. If you guys have preferences for any particular one, please state that too. Thank you
Do a search here: https://help.ubuntu.com/search.html for "virtual hosts". You'll install apache on your machine and configure for one or more hosts.

As far as an code editor or ide, any one that can handle php, html, css. Of course vim or a text editor will work too. I've used Netbeans. sublime and atom are good. KDE's Kate has code highlighting and auto completion. It won't have, like the others, context-sensitive help and other tools. I just remembered, that the repository has Bluefish. The features list wordpress.

timbow
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Please suggest me simple and easy local Wordpress development platform

Post by timbow » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:41 am

Did you get anywhere with this?
Because it should be easy and I get nowhere with it.
TW

Return to “Software & Applications”