Firefox 60.0.2 released today. When will it fit the update manager?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tgwilt
Level 2
Level 2

Firefox 60.0.2 released today. When will it fit the update manager?

Post by tgwilt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 am

Subject says it all. The new version is supposed to be a 'stability and security update' I downloaded the tarball and installed in on my computers, but am wondering how long does it usually take a minor update to hit the update manager in LM?

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firefox 60.0.2 released today. When will it fit the update manager?

Post by chrisuk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:27 am

60.02 was released on 6th June... it's version 61 now. I can't tell you when/if Mint will get either
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:56 am

Hello, tgwilt.

On Linux Mint, you should not download the genuine Mozilla Firefox .tar.bz2 archive and install it in order to update your Firefox.
On Linux Mint, the Linux Mint update manager should offer available Firefox updates to you for installation.
In case the update manager does not offer any Firefox updates to you ever or no other software updates, either, then you should create a thread here reporting so. And we will help you find out why update manager fails to offer available software updates to you.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:05 am

karlchen wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:56 am
On Linux Mint, you should not download the genuine Mozilla Firefox .tar.bz2 archive and install it in order to update your Firefox.
Why is that?
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 am

catweazel wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:05 am
karlchen wrote:
Why is that?
Because Firefox comes pre-installed and is updated from the linuxmint repo? So there's not really a good reason to mess with that, as you can see from the OP it can apparently cause problems - my "official" Firefox has been on 60.0.2 for weeks.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

tgwilt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tgwilt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 am

karlchen wrote:
Hello, tgwilt.

On Linux Mint, the Linux Mint update manager should offer available Firefox updates to you for installation.
In case the update manager does not offer any Firefox updates to you ever or no other software updates, either, then you should create a thread here reporting so. And we will help you find out why update manager fails to offer available software updates to you.

Best regards,
Karl
Hi Karl,

Thanks for your reply. Forgive me if I choose to ignore and disagree with your position that one should not download and install the genuine Firefox.tar.bz2 archive. I prefer to keep ahead of stability and security features. and that's one of the great things about Linux compared to some other Operating Systems. We, the great unwashed users :), are allowed to do whatsoever we want as long as we accept the consequences.

When I first installed LM and launched Firefox, it screamed about how it was terribly out of date. About 30 minutes later, the Update Manager recommended a newer version, which was installed.

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, nor to make light of your opinion. In my case, I've been using *nix systems for over 25 years and am well aware of what can happen when one isn't aware of consquences when one installs programs willy-nilly via tarballs, configure, make, and make install. I've paid my dues, as I'm sure you have. Remember troubleshooting the Makefile when things went sideways?

Once again, thanks for the opportunity to engage in civil, polite discussion.

Tom

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:35 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 am
Because Firefox comes pre-installed and is updated from the linuxmint repo? So there's not really a good reason to mess with that, as you can see from the OP it can apparently cause problems - my "official" Firefox has been on 60.0.2 for weeks.
It might not be the wisest thing for inexperienced users to do but that doesn't mean experienced users shouldn't do it. I raised the question because there is no qualifying statement, just a catch-all "don't do it", so, thanks for replying, but it doesn't answer my question.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:47 am

catweazel wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:35 am
gm10 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 am
It might not be the wisest thing for inexperienced users to do but that doesn't mean experienced users shouldn't do it. I raised the question because there is no qualifying statement, just a catch-all "don't do it", so, thanks for replying, but it doesn't answer my question.
If you know what you're doing then it can be a good idea, of course, because you get security patches a few days earlier. I see no technical reason against it, but I'll let karlchen give you a definite answer since it was his statement.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:42 am

Hi, tgwilt. Hi, catweazel.

The reason why it is advisable to update software which comes pre-installed with Linux Mint from the official software repositories only is:
If you start updating such software manually then
  • the Linux Mint software management system will not be aware of such updates
  • you will easily install the updated version to a different location from where the software management system does; so you end up with 2 different installations, knowingly or unknowingly.
  • you might break the software management system; depends on your level of Linux (Mint) knowledge and skills.
With respect to the level of Linux (Mint) knowledge and skills:
I had not made any specific assumptions about your level of Linux (Mint) knowledge and skills, tgwilt.
When replying to a post, you never really know what the knowledge and skill level of the person is whom you reply to.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Return to “Software & Applications”