Very slow software installation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
krasimirpetrov
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 am
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Very slow software installation

Post by krasimirpetrov »

Hello, all.

I have one more problem with Linux Mint.

Installing any software - via the terminal or through the manager is too slow. For example, I installed a nginx and php and took at least 1.30 hours today.

Yesterday the system is upgraded for more than 4 hours.


Now - i try to install kubuntu-dekstop - It's already 3 hours and the installation is not over yet.

Where to look for the problem, it's pretty slow.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by catweazel »

krasimirpetrov wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:26 pm
Now - i try to install kubuntu-dekstop - It's already 3 hours and the installation is not over yet.

Where to look for the problem, it's pretty slow.
You don't look for the problem yet. You wait until the current operation finishes or fails.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
trytip
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4742
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by trytip »

you probably need to switch to a faster mirror. when you say slow software installation what does that actually mean?
Image

all41
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6176
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by all41 »

Hi krasimirpetrov,
What is your internet connection type, isp, speed?
libera ab tyrannis

User avatar
krasimirpetrov
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 am
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by krasimirpetrov »

My internet connection is good - downloading fast - http://www.speedtest.net/result/7436549217.png.
By slow I mean - that unpacking operations, installing and configuration take too much time.

It seems to me that the recording and reading operations of the SSD are slow, but I did not have the problem with Ubuntu and OpenSuse.

User avatar
krasimirpetrov
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 am
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by krasimirpetrov »

I think I fixed the problem. I have two hardware - SSD and HDD. I had put a var on the HDD and after I moved it to the SSD, the system started to work faster.

What is the recommended size for the var directory? SDD is 500GB and now Var is 60GB - how is it?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10999
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by gm10 »

krasimirpetrov wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:34 am
What is the recommended size for the var directory? SDD is 500GB and now Var is 60GB - how is it?
That depends a lot on your system and installed software, but at that size I'm suspecting some runaway log files, check the size of /var/log or maybe even better, use the provided Disk Usage Analyzer to check all of /var.

For reference, /var currently comes in at 600 MB on my system.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

User avatar
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10438
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by Pierre »

why do you need a separate /var directory? any reason for that ?.

the /var directory on this machine is 1,9Gb & has 9 sub-directories in it. . .
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 am
why do you need a separate /var directory? any reason for that ?.
To extend the life of an ssd is the usual reason.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
krasimirpetrov
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 am
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by krasimirpetrov »

Тhe var directory is small in size, just when the hdd system worked slowly.
Now, after move to SSD - the system is working normally.

The reason was the extension of the SSD life.

all41
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6176
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by all41 »

catweazel wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 am
Pierre wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 am
why do you need a separate /var directory? any reason for that ?.
To extend the life of an ssd is the usual reason.
This sounds akin to 'moving swap to ram' to increase speed :lol: :lol:
libera ab tyrannis

gm10
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10999
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by gm10 »

all41 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:03 am
catweazel wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 am
Pierre wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 am
why do you need a separate /var directory? any reason for that ?.
To extend the life of an ssd is the usual reason.
This sounds akin to 'moving swap to ram' to increase speed :lol: :lol:
Not really. /var gets constantly written to, so if you're concerned about yor SSD's write cycles there's nothing wrong with moving it off the SSD:
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

User avatar
krasimirpetrov
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 am
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by krasimirpetrov »

That's the case, but then, in my case, the system worked very slowly. What this may be due to?

User avatar
trytip
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4742
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by trytip »

what's the speed of your ssd ? sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda replace a in sda with your drive try the command also in live mint when you get a chance
depending on how new your ssd is test a newer kernel
Image

User avatar
krasimirpetrov
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 am
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by krasimirpetrov »

HDD:
Timing cached reads: 10376 MB in 2.00 seconds = 5197.00 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 406 MB in 3.01 seconds = 134.98 MB/sec
SSD:
Timing cached reads: 15222 MB in 1.99 seconds = 7630.21 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 1506 MB in 3.00 seconds = 501.52 MB/sec
This the result from test with live mint:
HDD:
Timing cached reads: 19846 MB in 1.99 seconds = 9949.71 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 408 MB in 3.01 seconds = 135.66 MB/sec
SSD
Timing cached reads: 17210 MB in 1.99 seconds = 8627.26 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 1540 MB in 3.00 seconds = 513.21 MB/sec
I tried with two different cores and versions of - Linux Mint 18.3 and Linux Mint 19 - the result was the same - when the var is on the hdd system is slow.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by catweazel »

all41 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:03 am
catweazel wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 am
Pierre wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 am
why do you need a separate /var directory? any reason for that ?.
To extend the life of an ssd is the usual reason.
This sounds akin to 'moving swap to ram' to increase speed :lol: :lol:

Code: Select all

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev
tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev
tmpfs /var/log tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev
No. For an SSD on a machine with decent RAM, it pays to move tmp and logs to memory.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

all41
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6176
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by all41 »

I have the tmpfs to ram on the 17.3 hdd already, but not the 19 yet.
Moving the logs to ram sounds interesting. These are not ssd,
but 15k velociraptors with quite decent read/write speeds, and there is 24gb ram to use.

I have a 860 evo that I will put into play when I get 19 fully tweaked.
I did install the beta for a preliminary comparison, but did not notice an immediate wow factor.

I plan to dd the tweaked 19 hd over to ssd and have both bootable via bios for more critical comparison.
libera ab tyrannis

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:35 am
Location: State: Constant Confusion, Country: D'oh

Re: Very slow software installation

Post by srq2625 »

gm10 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 am
krasimirpetrov wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:34 am
What is the recommended size for the var directory? SDD is 500GB and now Var is 60GB - how is it?
That depends a lot on your system and installed software, but at that size I'm suspecting some runaway log files, check the size of /var/log or maybe even better, use the provided Disk Usage Analyzer to check all of /var.

For reference, /var currently comes in at 600 MB on my system.
Concur. I had the same issue with a fresh install on an old system. /var/log/kern.log was going crazy. Reading the tail end of it provided a clue.

Figure out which log file is going crazy and then ... In a terminal window run:

Code: Select all

tail -f <filename>
This will continuously display the tail end of the file and show you what's being written there. That should provide you the clue you need.

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”