Ctrl+Shift+left, Ctrl+Shift+right bug

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Ctrl+Shift+left, Ctrl+Shift+right bug

Post by vistad »

Hi guys,
you all know shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+left, Ctrl+Shift+right that select the previous/next word in your text editor, don't you? I really need them to work, because otherwise I feel crippled.

Now I'm trying to set up my system on Linux Mint Mate 19-64, and something breaks them during the installation.

I did some research and found that as soon as I add another input language and set "Switching to another layout" shortcut to Ctrl+Shift, the Ctrl+Shift+left, Ctrl+Shift+right shortcuts stop working.

I used Ctrl+Shift to switch between languages for years, so I'd very much like to preserve them as layout switching shortcuts.

Please help! Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
psg9196
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Ctrl+Shift+left, Ctrl+Shift+right bug

Post by psg9196 »

I have the same problem - I have two keyboard layouts and the Ctrl+Shit+LeftArrow/RightArrow do not work. Any help?
psg9196
Level 1
Level 1

Post by psg9196 »

In my case, I have selected the Ctrl+Shift to switch between the layouts.
It is arguably a bug as it should not switch until the keys are released, so in case another key is pressed, it should not consider the sequence for changing the layout.

You can open the "Keyboard Settings", go to "Layouts" and select "Options...".
Expand the "Switching to another layout" and select a different combination (I now use Alt+Caps Lock).
If it still doesn't work, try the "Reset to Defaults" on the "Layouts" view and re-add your alternative layout.
whins

Post by whins »

I have same problems with Ctrl+Shift+<any key>
I use Ctrl+Shift to switch input language.
And Ctrl+Shift+<any key> always switch to other language
More detailed:
- switching will be on Ctrl+Shift keys down before pressing next key. But Shift+Ctrl+<any key> works good.
For example, behavior in Sublime:
I want open menu and I press Ctrl+Shift+P. As result I have switched input language and nothing more, but Shift+Ctrl+P - works good

Look like combination of Shift+Ctrl must be triggered on keyup
and wait for other key when Shift+Ctrl is pressed
theIggs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theIggs »

It's obvious that this is a bug, and that it is as simple to fix as to just replace onKeyDown with onKeyUp in one place. However, in today's software world issues like this can (and will) hang unfixed for months because they are too minor and small. I personally suffer from this bug everyday at work, but what can I say, at least Mint is free. :?
theIggs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theIggs »

Just a note for myself with useful links: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=274109
It's (not) funny how this bug had existed for 15 years before being fixed: https://bugzilla.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=865
Hope that we're seeing the fix in Mint 20.

Return to “Software & Applications”