Before you post please read how to get help
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Timeshift frustration

Post by trytip »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 pm
I tried once, to see if Timeshift could restore the "same PC" after doing a new fresh install, and the answer is NO.
not sure what this means. i completely deleted and formatted my partition with gparted installed a new os then deleted and formatted again with gparted and restored it with timeshift and every software and tweak i made was restored. i even included the /root folder, not sure what that's on the exclude list.
AZgl1500
Level 15
Level 15
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

trytip wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:58 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 pm
I tried once, to see if Timeshift could restore the "same PC" after doing a new fresh install, and the answer is NO.
not sure what this means. i completely deleted and formatted my partition with gparted installed a new os then deleted and formatted again with gparted and restored it with timeshift and every software and tweak i made was restored. i even included the /root folder, not sure what that's on the exclude list.
then I did something wrong, been a long long weekend with 98°F temps and 88% humidity here.........
I am all washed out.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
vaca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vaca »

Hello, a tip I would recommend you create a usb of the redobackup tool with rufus creator it is excellent and it supports to save complete images in external media as pendrives of great capacity and above all save in ntfs dedicated partitions.

The only caveat is that the unit to be restored, fulfill two recommended conditions ..

1 You must remove any partitions, I recommend you do this from windows or pendrive w10 installation, open the console and type

1 diskpart

2 list disk

3 select disk we put the unit, look at the total capacity

4 clean will erase the entire disk

5 Now we make sure that the unit will be in mbr you type

convert mbr

6 exit

7 Done this we go to the second condition we put the pendrive of redobackup in a usb free port and connect the two disks, the one of the image of the whole disc made, and the unit where everything will be recovered in its usb ports

8 Turn off the PC and unplug it, now turn on your PC again, and point to the key of your bios the menu selection boot and marks the pendrive of redo.

9 Start and once inside redo open gparted and create an entire ext4 partition marked as /.
you go out and turn off the system

10 Now finally we go back in and select redo recover backup, point out the source unit of your saved image and then the destination USB drive, will be recognized for being formatted under mbr perfectly, and give it to restore and let it finish, a warning Move the mouse from time to time to prevent the screen from going out for safety.

Once finished your mint is completely ready, we go backup unplug the system.

you remove the usb of redo and disk of your backup and you will start as you had it.

Advantages is excellent simple ideal for novices, only copy data and is very fast creating and restoring disk images.

Secondly, another advantage you can save if you go in a hurry of space in ntfs partitions, which is why I use it, I have copies of acronis from windows and so I take advantage of the disk.

Just remember 2 precautions with diskpart make sure to erase everything and then convert mbr

and the second with redobackup use before gparted to create unique partition in ext4 and mark as /
Thus we guarantee the unit faithful to the utility of restoration ...

I hope I have helped and apologize for google translator!

:D
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

I like it so far. I always make clonezilla images of my system (with only a small amount of personal files on the image) so Time Shift is just another layer of 'backup'. I tried it on a seperate Test OS SSD (same machine) and all went well. I've even tried it from the Live CD, where it easily finds my 'images' and restores them.

If my OS failure is so bad that I need a full image, I just use Clonezilla. Or even just re-install Mint. Its so easy, compared to Windows. So fast to reinstall.

I don't agree with the idea that if its installed, it should 'just work'. This is Linux. Its free. Its a project in progress and part of our commitment to using it is to take responsibility for using it - with a clear understanding of how things work before we use them. :)
AZgl1500
Level 15
Level 15
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

If you will add Aptik to your toolbox, and make a backup with it.

you can make a Fresh Install quickly, and then install Aptik, then have it restore from your backup.

wallah! back exactly like you were before, same as though you had restored a cloned image,
but, in minutes, not hours.

this assumes you use a separate /home partition, or even if you don't keep /home backed up somehow.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

My Clonezilla image I just made takes about five minutes or so, to restore. Its very fast and better than anything I've ever used. I've been using Clonezilla for about ten years now. Its so easy to use - just use the guided instructions when you boot with the CD - after burning the Clonezilla iso to it via Brasero.
patday8472
Level 2
Level 2

Post by patday8472 »

The issues I have with Timeshift. (Part of this post maybe a little of topic)

Timeshift should be optional not forced. Timeshift should not be activate when doing a clean install.

I am considering Opensuse or xfce fedora spin or going back to windows 7 sp1/Windows 10. I use macrium reflect because I dual boot with windows 7 sp1 or Windows 10. (I have two computers one has windows 7 sp1 and Linux Mint 18.3 and the other has windows 10 and Linux Mint 18.3). I still had issues booting windows 10 after each windows 10 update. So, I installed an old grub dos boot manager from puppy Linux, that fixed it. It just depends on if my next test upgrade works.

It won't upgrade from Linux mint xfce 18.3 to 19.x without fooling it,

Code: Select all

sudo touch /etc/timeshift.json
Side question are all distos using Timeshift? Opensuse, fedora, arch, etc?
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

patday8472 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 pm
Timeshift should be optional not forced. Timeshift should not be activate when doing a clean install.
You can DEselect the option in Timeshift after a clean install of LM19 to NOT make any backups at all.
You can choose to never use Timeshift and use any other backup program you like in LinuxMint 19.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

carum carvi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:35 am
patday8472 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 pm
You can DEselect the option in Timeshift after a clean install of LM19 to NOT make any backups at all.
You can choose to never use Timeshift and use any other backup program you like in LinuxMint 19.
@carum carvi - the upgrade path from 18.3 to 19 via minutupgrade won't proceed without the user making a snapshot or 'fooling' it as outlined which I think is what patday8472 is getting at.

But that is the only forced use in Mint otherwise it's use or not is completely optional. Personally given the number of failed backups we saw I don't think it's a bad thing.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Software & Applications”